Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried rubbing potato slices on the glass of their vivs to cut down on the amount of condensation you get? I've seen people do it with their car windows to some effect, and I figure it shouldn't be harmful to any darts that would come into contact with the juices.

·
Super Moderator
3,648 Posts
Never tried it but I think it would leave a film of starch on the glass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I thought the same thing, and in a vivarium environment all that starch could lead to extra mold growth. Your best option is usually to eliminate the cause of the condensation through improved ventilation.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Would be interested to see if it actually works. Should try it on one side or something to see the difference. It should not hurt anything although it might gunk up the glass.
Just running a little computer fan across the top front would probably do more good though.:)

·
Registered
Plants.
611 Posts
Dane has the only worthwhile answer here ;). If you're getting serious condensation on the front of your glass, you have a ventilation (read 'lack thereof') problem. You're just treating symptoms with all the other solutions here instead of dealing with the problem. Fix your ventilation, and you won't have to worry about condensation.

·
Registered
19,388 Posts
What's the humidity inside your tank?
While humidity is part of the equation, the difference in temperature between the inside and the outside of the enclosure is the second part. You have to account for both of them before you can solve the issue. Increasing ventilation allows the warm very humid air to exit the enclosure to be replaced by cooler drier air. This exchange is where the condensation is addressed. As long as your humidity is over 60% your frogs will be fine.

some comments

Ed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.