Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering redoing my terrarium a little. I would like to remove the silicone to push the panel back and have the vent holes in the back, and not at the front anymore. The disadvantage to this idea is the fact my feeding slot will no longer be in front, and that means I will ahve to open the doors everytime I want to feed my frogs. Considering I've got spunky little tricolors and a climbing male tinc, I don't know if that is a safe option. I originally designed it this way also to make it easy to access the pumps, as they would be in the front, but wiring is difficult and not as nice in front.

Should I just leave it the way it is, and find another way to wire pumps?

G

·
Im willing to bet you are the only one that has a trap door to feed. You just need to peak in and see if they are at the doorway before you open it.

I buried my pump. If it gets clogged i have had NO problems turning it on and off a few times to break the clog up. I also figure by the time the pump goes(couple of years) ill be ready to make a new tank.

I have also seen people that put a big pvc pipe up the back and cover with whatever your preferred background is. You could add a door or just have the pvc poke through the top. This way if you have any problems with the pump you can always just stick your hand down there.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I like having the trapdoor. While the mantellas who live there now occupy the back most of the time, my tinc and tricolors are always climbing around the front of their current vivariums, not a good idea.

I am NOT going to drill my tank. It is too late now, and I don't know if I'd want to risk it. There's also the chance that a glass company would want me to take it apart. No way, its too cool, my first DIY tank.

I have done that, turn the pump on and off to clear it, but it eventually gets plugged up again. That's why its so much better to have a sump. Somebody told me to wrap filter floss around the intake and put it in wire mesh. The fiberglass screening has helped, but finer peat still gets sucked in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts