Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like for this thread to be dedicated to how best to create a tank for Red Vents / Amazonicus.

i.e. Water? Running Water? Specific plant recommendations? Film Cannisters? Cannister Locations? Etc.

I would really like to hear from people who successfully breed these frogs. What can you tell us about how to keep them?

Thanks in advance,

Scott
Sanford, Maine

G

·
If this helps any I have my imitators in a 20 vert tank.I have cocomatt for the background and have corkbark leaned against the background with bromiliads mounted on the bark.I have an all glass door and mist daily.I have had them breed for me several times so they must like it.
I'd think vents and amazonicus could be set up the same way but possibly use more film canisters.My imitators don't seem to use them alot but I think they would if I didn't have broms for tad deposit sites.
I hope you didn't mind me posting about imitators here :lol:
Mark W.

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,

I appreciate your post... I have raised a bunch of Yellow Vents myself (and I'm looking for a female Imitator if you can help me out!).

I'm sure a tank for Red Vents is quite a bit like Yellow Vents... but I've also heard they're a bit tougher.

I'm hoping some folks who keep Red Vents successfully have some specific recommendations on how to duplicate their success.

Thanks though.

s

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
2 diferent frogs?

From what I understand Red Vents are actually a different frog them Amazonicus, so you might get different answers because of this.

I think Amazonicus are less hardy then the vents, but could be kept the same way. My one friend that breeds them uses running water and a pretty basic set up (a few plants, not much, and no broms). He thinks the water helps, but I am not too sure. I think it just increases humidity, which is usually good to get frogs breeding... but I don't think it plays any other role in breeding. They don't lay near the water or in it... just in film canisters like vents. I know another person that has bred them in a well planted tank (broms, vines, moss, very dense), with out a moving water feature... so go figure :D . I don't think running water is crucial to most thumbs, as they don't really interact with them in the wild... so why woud they in captivity? I think a nice planted tank, high humidity, and canisters placed at a couple differnet heights (45 angle like vents) would work fine. But this is from what I have gathered not experienced... maybe if I can get a female I could tell you from experince instead lol.

·
Registered
507 Posts
red amazonicus

Scott,

My pair of red amazonicus is kept in a 10 gallon tank (regular horizontal orientation : open top). The tank floor is sphagnum moss and tropical moss. There is a small pond in the front right corner, which is drilled with a bulkhead and drain. The tank is one of many on a misting system. There is some leaf litter in the back along with a piece of philodendren. That's it. I placed two film canisters at 45 degree angles on either side of the tank. The pair lay in both canisters and the pond. The pond is 2"x2" clearing at a depth of maybe 1/4". I found 3 eggs in the pond yesterday and one today. I have seen them lay eggs on the banks of the pond, not sure if the egg mass can slide down the algae/moss. Most of the eggs that I spoon out of the water are fertile and hatch. I have also found tadpoles in the pond so they are laying eggs in other parts of the tank.

This tank was originally going to be a temporary tank but once they started laying I decided to leave them be.

Thanks
ERic

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Eric.

I just finished up their tank last night. It's a 15g cube (16" sides).

Part of the design was siliconing 3 black film cannisters at about 30 degree angles on the wall. I then place white film cannister inserts (easy to remove - easy to see) inside of these.

There'll be corner of the tank (about 3" on the sides) with water and the tank will be misted.

So it sounds an awful lot life what you've got. Thanks for your description.

s

G

·
How about a little game of name that plant? Begonia, right side, dominating that side. Small green Philodendron(?) left side, bright green.
j

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see at least 3 begonias, 2 pepperomias and a monstera.

s
Yeager said:
How about a little game of name that plant? Begonia, right side, dominating that side. Small green Philodendron(?) left side, bright green.
j

G

·
I meant tell me their names so I can get some later... I don't care if you have some sort of plant pet names... kidding.
j

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This is one of Mark Pepper's cubes. They're very nice. Small warp problems on the front door but nothing that cannot be managed.

Good call on the Mini African Violet Robb.

s :?
dmartin72 said:
Nice Job...how's it working out for the frogs? Where did you get your acrylic tank?

·
Administrator
8,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They're breeding rather consistently. I'm having "fun" with the learning curve on the tads though.

They may look look like Red Vents - but they sure do not raise the same way!

I believe I have 2.3 - with all 3 females laying.

s
dmartin72 said:
Are your Red Vents/Amazonicus breeding for you? What is your sex ratio in that tank?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Are you doing anything special to get them to breed? Or are they on autopilot? How is it different from raising vent tads? Do you have any pictures of the little guys?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts