Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:? Hello, Has anyone in the community bred dart frogs and had red spotting on the paper towel substrate? I realize this is unacceptable in established frogs and is indicitave of an infection of sorts. But with fresh out of the water froglets is this part of the developing process or should it be treated? I haven't placed samples under my microscope as of this writing but will do so shortly, being these are my first "healthy clutches" and subsequently lack experience in this aspect of husbandry I would like if possible some responses to this issue. I thank any and all who would reply regardless of content. Thank You!

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
You sure this isn't just poop staining the toweling? That's not uncommon and is diet dependent. I don't like using paper toweling for substrate though. Not even for new froglets.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:? It is bright red, but ive noticed fecal material in some of the others thats almost orange? Their first feeding was pinhead crickets I'm not quite shure what to make of it. Do they excrete orange fecal matter at this age? It was not runny but solid so I feel somewhat safe there but a few have bright red spotting, this is their first "attempts" to go as a froglet in new containers. Have you ever heard of this? I appreciate your time and concern.All the best.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are these frogs feeding on fruitflies yet? If so, then what you're seeing may just be the red eyes of the fruitflies in their fecal matter. They appear as tiny red bumps. A couple of years ago, I noticed red "blobs" in my cobalt tinc's enclosure. I thought I had some crazy parasite, so I took a sample to KU to have it examined by a friend of mine. As soon as we slid it under the scope, it was obvious! It's a little strange that the eyes would actually "survive" digestion. These frogs were feeding on red-eyed hydei fruitflies, so that corroborated our reasoning even further. If what you're seeing in your enclosure is more like a true stain, though, this might not be pertinent to your situation. Also, a quick check on the eyes of the fruitfly species that you may/may not be feeding would also help narrow down the possibilities. Hope this helps!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts