Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My favorite frog has finally bred for me.

I have waited for over a year on this group of seven to breed. My first group of four is still not breeding. That group of non breeding red galacs I have had since Oct 2009.

Anyway, this newer group of seven that I acquired about a year ago is going great guns. This group is now two years old and with the last heavy rains we had here in Portland Oregon has sent them into a frenzy! Females pinning smaller males to the ground and males were calling like crazy!

I did not expect any eggs, as my other group of four that is a year older and in the same room have done nothing, but occasionally call. BUT, yesterday I noticed a blob on a leaf and looked at it closer. Turned out to be a blob of 5 eggs. Laid out in the open, I would guess the day before. I then checked out the hut and found inside, three developed eggs that are getting to tadpole stage. I would guess them at a week old. So I know I have at least a pair out of the seven.

I hope this breeding continues. My orange galacs next to them have been calling like crazy too, so I think this may have set them off. Temps have increased a couple of degrees this last week and I have started misting occasionally.

Any tips? I have bred several other dart frogs, so have good experience. I am crazy thrilled that this happened with such a rare dart frog.

Marc

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Congrats! The hobby could use a few more of those!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Congrats!

Mine have started, as well. The last clutch was 10 eggs. Luckily, i caught it before the other female(s) got to them. I have a small group of 4 in an 18" cube . Now I wonder how many more I would have gotten with the other clutches had I gotten to them sooner. On that note,
I would suggest just keeping an eye on that. They're seasonal breeders, so definitely take advantage of this spurt!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats!

Mine have started, as well. The last clutch was 10 eggs. Luckily, i caught it before the other female(s) got to them. I have a small group of 4 in an 18" cube . Now I wonder how many more I would have gotten with the other clutches had I gotten to them sooner. On that note,
I would suggest just keeping an eye on that. They're seasonal breeders, so definitely take advantage of this spurt!
Thanks for this information.

I finally took the original three tadpoles/eggs out of the parents tank. I could tell one male was taking good care of them. I have one that started hatching out, so thought it was time.

I just got another clutch laid of 6 eggs today. I left it in their tank and did not pull it. Maybe I should pull it out, but have seen no evidence of egg eating. The other eggs laid out in the open, were not touched, nor were the other three in the hut. For safety I guess I should pull them.

Are galac females known for eating eggs?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats! Let me know when you want me to come pick them up. :D
I am just so glad this is happening. Not sure what the outcome will be as far as sls and such. I have read you are having great success with your tree frogs.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Congratulations. That is definately a large group of frogs you have. Glad to see that you are having success with a very beautiful type of frog.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
im in the same boat, this rain has brought my male to start calling for the first time ive heard. got me pretty excited, but i still doubt ill see eggs for a while. and yes females are known to eat eggs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys! Glad to hear all the good news!
Here in the "rainy" UK we are having an incredibly dry and hot spring, so no storms or rain basically! The quick spell of bad weather on Sunday made my male tinc call for a good hour but that was basically the end of the activity!! Sigh...can't believe I'm actually wishing for a real period of bad weather to get my (hopefully) pair of orange galacs going!! :D

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My galacs just laid two more sets of eggs. I now know I have at least two males. I think I have a 2.5 group. I am still letting the fourth in line set of eggs, be cared for in the tank. My male for each group of eggs seem to be very attentive. I found out there was another set of eggs that was hidden, as I found a very large tad deposited in the water dish! So I'm up to 4 tads now, plus three more sets of eggs that are developing in the tank.

I had added a second coco hut a couple of days ago and that ended up with two sets of eggs deposited in it. I added a third coco hut today and hope there will be even more eggs deposited in it too.

My other group of four are calling more and I did see some wrestling going on now too! I'm misting two times a day and feeding every day now. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Me too out me on that wish list

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi,

I've got a good breeding season going so far. I have 27 tadpoles hatched out. I hope they keep it up, but the last couple of times they laid, they are laying fewer eggs. Just 1 egg in one clutch and 3 in the other. So I guess they may be winding down after about a month and a half. The tadpoles are all big and healthy looking. Any advice on what to feed them? I am feeding tadpole bites and there is java moss to graze on too.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi,

I've got a good breeding season going so far. I have 27 tadpoles hatched out. I hope they keep it up, but the last couple of times they laid, they are laying fewer eggs. Just 1 egg in one clutch and 3 in the other. So I guess they may be winding down after about a month and a half. The tadpoles are all big and healthy looking. Any advice on what to feed them? I am feeding tadpole bites and there is java moss to graze on too.
I've heard more than a few times that carotenoid supplementation in the tadpole stage can lead to better coloration (particularly reds) later in life.. I'm not quite sure how valid that is but I have a bag of Repashy Superpig for my adults so I feed it to the tads 2x/week or so, they take it readily (not as the staple of their diet of course.. just extra supp.).

Tadpole bites are a good start, I usually just feed whatever I have on hand for my fish (NLS pellets/flakes, crushed Omega One shrimp pellets, DBSE, enriched brine, etc)... they eat it all and they come out healthy.

Cliffnotes- Galact tads need high protein diets & variety never hurts.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just got two more sets of eggs, of five eggs each. Guess they are not done breeding yet. Great!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Three are now pushing out front legs. NO spindly! Lucky me on my first three. The color is still dark, but I can see the biggest one is starting to get red on it's back. I just love to watch any dart tadpole turning into froglet (with tail) color up as is gets it's front legs.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts