Dendroboard banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have 2 red eye tree frogs. one is turning a grayish color on top. his underside and feet are a bright color. is this normal? i mean the grayish coloring on top. hope he's not getting sick or anything..

a little background.
frog one(the one turning gray on top)-(male) got him as a baby. has him for 1 year or so.
frog 2-(male)cb i got from a local show. they said he was a male 2 years old. had him for about 1 1/2 months
tank-45 gal viv with small river and water spot

since puting in the 2nd frog i've noticed the 1st frog(one turning gray) not being out as much. I can't find him hiding durning the day(without major poking). I do see him more and more each night and even croaking like normal. from the looks of it he is eating just fine as is the new frog.

any info about this frog turning grayish would be great. other then the top not being green he's got bright colors and nothing else wrong

in the pic he looks light green but it's more of a gray

·
Registered
104 Posts
They're nocturnal for the most part so you really shouldn't be seeing either of them during the day. The 3 I have show quite a bit of color variation, from the greyish green you're describing to a super dark forest green. Their colors change all the time.

I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge could tell you why but it's not something to worry about as far as I know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Agreed. It's fairly normal and Red Eyes can be kept in groups as well so I don't think the fact that both are males would cause an issue. I would just double check the recommended parameters and make sure you're vitamins haven't expired.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Yes Red Eyed Treefrogs are often kept in groups, but I wouldnt rule out stress or agression caused by the newly introduced frog. Furthermore many species of animals change their colors due to stress. Though I agree with the fact that their is definate color variation in Red eyed Treefrogs, the sudden change in color and behavior may be due to stress. Here is an interesting link about agression between male Red Eyed Treefrogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi. Your frog looks healthy, I would not worry much about it. Here in Panama some of the populations turn reddish / brown when active, I find some of these greyish or olive green while sleeping sometimes. Do you have any idea from what population (locality) does your RETF came from?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts