Dendroboard banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Looking for advice on why my red back galactonotus clutches keep going bad. Ive been talking to others about this, and everyone seems to be having the same problem. Misting and humidity are all within standard practices, but clutches just appear to fall apart after a week or so, yielding no tads. This has happened to several people several times. Anyone got advice on special treatment needed for galactonotus clutches? Submerged? Drier than normal? Lots of airflow? No airflow? Anyone? Anyone? Buhler?....
Gracias,
Divegod

·
Registered
621 Posts
Mine just started in one day after i moved them. I dont know what i did or what to do. I think a tall tank with running water is good. Broms, bowers,good, males seem to be quite aggresive to me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Jace, was there a change in humidity when you moved them? Like, was the previous enclosure more dry than the newer one?
Divegod

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Well, I am sure you all know the obvious, but are you sure that the male is even fertilizing the eggs? I had a clutch of mantella eggs that fell apart after a week or so only because they were not fertilized. Just a thought

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I cant be 100% sure, but several other people have noted the same difficulty with incubating eggs. I guess its possible that galacts might need several "practice runs" before they get it right. Ive frequently noted that males of several morphs seem to mature less quickly than females, and this could be another example. I guess thats another question I shouldve asked......
D

·
Registered
621 Posts
I think only my vents and retics have laid a good clutch off the bat. At least the first one i found was good. Everything else had at least 4-5 bad clutches at first. Galacs might even be worse, they seem to be a problem species all together. Just keep em dark and wet, but nice and clean. I keep mine in a small cooler on the yogurt lid, and with a little vented top over the eggs. So they are double enclosed and completely shaded. If this doesnt help or you want more info just ask. Im no expert, but i have morphed some galacs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts