Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be CO2 bombing a couple of my tanks due to snails and a couple of my pairs starting to breed. So, I've been pulling isos out of their tanks and putting them aside in separate containers to re-seed their tanks later.

Someone said to me, a while ago, that it's ok to use a culture created by isos from a frog tank, and put them in with other frogs. I would like more info on this. Is that the general consensus? Could I make larger cultures with the isos I've pulled and use them interchangeably with my frog tanks or perhaps distribute them to other froggers?

For the people who have received bugs from me, thus far, I've never given out bugs that have been in a frog tank. Just fyi :D

·
Banned
915 Posts
i actually culture mine in large coolers then seed my tanks and that way they are seperate and i can still sell with no worries. i works great for all my lil critters. all my isos and springs are producing great. jus my opion

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a few 'clean' cultures going. With all the isos I'm getting from the tanks, I was wondering about the feasibility of starting additional cultures with them. Also, I'm finding isos in the tanks that I no longer have in cultures and would like to get them started again.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It is a bad idea to pull something from a tani that was occupied with frogs and put it in another tank unless it was cleaned. Of course you can't "clean" live insects. Poor quarantine procedure is what can lead to devastation in a collection.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I think that the biggest risk is spreading pathogens from one viv to another. If your frogs are healthy and don't have parasite problems, then it probably would be okay. Also, unless you are meticulous about cleaning your hands, siphon tubes, feeding dishes, or anything else that you use in multiple vivs, it's likely that all your vivs have a similar suite of parasites, fungus, etc.

However, any soil that is transferred with the isos, or even the isos themselves could have snail eggs or other pest eggs attached to it and your viv could get re-infested with the pests that you are trying to get rid of with the CO2 treatment.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
If you are dealing with a parasite that can be transferred by an the invertebrate (such as coccidia) then you need to serially culture the invertebrates (as long as the parasite can't use the isopod as a host in it's life cycle). To do this you start a culture with the potentially contaminated invertebrates. As soon as you have offspring of those invertebrates you seperate the offspring into a new culture and sterilize the old culture and substrate (as they could transmit to the enviroment if discarded). Each time you repeat the cycle you reduce the chance that a parasite could be transmitted back to the enclosure. However the amount of work and materials needs to be compared to purchasing new cultures...

My personal opinion is that it is better to just purchase new cultures....

Ed

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
You could pull the bugs but just make absolutely sure they go back into the same viv they came out of. You'd need to make sure you don't move any dirt with them or you could transfer snail eggs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts