Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to include this in my R. sirensis Viv. I think it will be a superior alternative to pill jars and film canisters. My belief is that it will hold a greater level of humidity, and be a more stable place to lay and brood.

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
In my experience, most frogs seem to prefer black film canisters over opaque white ones. I believe the feel more secure as it is more cave like. I have to wonder if the clear glass will not feel as secure to them as a black film canister. Perhaps you could paint it with a viv safe paint or treat it with black silicone coated with coco fiber?

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my experience, most frogs seem to prefer black film canisters over opaque white ones. I believe the feel more secure as it is more cave like. I have to wonder if the clear glass will not feel as secure to them as a black film canister. Perhaps you could paint it with a viv safe paint or treat it with black silicone coated with coco fiber?
I had planned on covering it entirely(with the exception of the opening) with leaves. Wouldn't that provide a sense of security? I appreciate the feedback!

JBear

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I had planned on covering it entirely(with the exception of the opening) with leaves. Wouldn't that provide a sense of security? I appreciate the feedback!

JBear
Yes it would. That should take care of the problem. On a related side note, I recently ordered a bunch of film canisters but my usual supplier was completely out of black. I am going to attempt dyeing all my clear/white film canisters with a heated, green dye bath to try to darken them up and make my froggies feel more secure about them. Including some vinegar in the dye bath will acid-set the dye to make it permanent.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have noticed a preference as well with my thumbs, but my orange sirensis have taken to white film canisters. I had both white and black in their viv and they will only drop off in white. So far all 14 tads have been dropped off in white. I even changed the placement of the black ones to no avail along with the whites and they still dropped off in whites....Who knows what goes on in there little minds.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Why not covering it with peat or tree fern dust?

Putting the cannister in epoxy raisin or silicone and then rolling it into any substrate you like works just fine.
It even grows moss in time.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why not covering it with peat or tree fern dust?

Putting the cannister in epoxy raisin or silicone and then rolling it into any substrate you like works just fine.
It even grows moss in time.
The goal is to be able to lift a clump of leaves, and see in to verify whether a tad is deposited without the need to remove the jar. If I rolled it in peat, etc, that would take the benefit I wanted away. I like the suggestion though, and will likely do another in that way. All my thanks!

JBear

Reactions: frogface

·
Registered
93 Posts
You might see if you can fit something in it.
I use black film canisters and put in half a white one in it.
Whenever i wan't to check if anything is in it, or like to clean it,
i can easily pull out the piece of white canister.
Maybe that solves you're problem as well?

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have noticed a preference as well with my thumbs, but my orange sirensis have taken to white film canisters. I had both white and black in their viv and they will only drop off in white. So far all 14 tads have been dropped off in white. I even changed the placement of the black ones to no avail along with the whites and they still dropped off in whites....Who knows what goes on in there little minds.
ahhh....very intersting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Something to consider: Wouldn't the glass have a different surface temperature than the plastic? Will this affect the behaviour?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Something to consider: Wouldn't the glass have a different surface temperature than the plastic? Will this affect the behaviour?
This is an interesting thought. Although I am certain the glass would hold/encourage humidity better, the glass itself might be a degree or 2 less than the over all ambient temp of the viv. What effect this would have, I am uncertain, but it is a good point to bring up. All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
This is an interesting thought. Although I am certain the glass would hold/encourage humidity better, the glass itself might be a degree or 2 less than the over all ambient temp of the viv. What effect this would have, I am uncertain, but it is a good point to bring up. All my thanks!

JBear
I'm not sure that I would expect the temperature to be cooler than the surrounding enviroment..

Ed

1 - 14 of 14 Posts