Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
melissa68 said:
Ben,
Which way do you think is the best to record these calls?
Melis
I am starting a new thread, so this make come up in the search.

I am using a Olympus VN-120 Digital Voice Recorder, with a computer mic. This is a voice activated unit, so I can turn it on and leave. The recordings are ok, but the mic I have doesn't like to pick up the higher notes very well. The unit cost about $40 with out a mic. I am sttill looking for a better one, that won't cost me an arm and leg, but didn't want to spend to much, because I don't want the humidity to mess it up. I know Thierry uses the mic on the camera. I would like to know what other people are using to record calls.

Overall my method has worked well for me. I did lend the recorder to Randy, so hopefully with in a week I should have a castaneoticus call very soon.

I hope this helps,

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I've tried to use the recorder on my digital camera a couple of times, but I don't think I did it right, it didn't play anything back.
I've always been picky about my hi-fi...it would be really cool to get some good equipment to get some real good recordings. For instance, most of the imitator calls I've found online don't really sound the way my imis do...the pace of the call is right, but the tone and pitch seem way off.
:lol:
...You know you're both a dart frogger and a hi-fi nut, when you plan on making custom vivs with "acousticly correct dimensions" for you're "singers"! :lol:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Anyone come up with something suitable for getting a good recording? I have about 5-6 different frog calls going on right now as well as some variables of the same.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
An Acoustic guitar mic should be able to reconsrtuct the tones properly and then all you need is a good tape deck w/ a mic input and or you may be able to record to your computer. It all has to do with the mic. Once i get more frogs I will be able to record some great ones. I have a recording studio in my basement :lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
my dit camera records great sounds. i have a few frog calls and most important is my yellow spotted climbing toad calling.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am going to try and get the vocal communication gear that I used in college. This gear pics up anything and can eliminate scatter too. Hopefully, I'll get it soon because I am thinking of using it with a project that I'll be starting next year. At least that will give more insight to frequency and duration.

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK

OK I have three hobbies that keep my pockets lean, Orchids, Frogs, and Hi-Fi two channel and 5-7.1 cahnnel home theater. I do all my speaker measurments on whats called a capsule mic, a cheap 20hz-20khz mic should be found on E-bay for around $20-100. As long as you uses a reducer and go from the studio 1/4" connector to the 1/8" or Mini plug you should be OK with a Digital voice recorder set to voice activated. My four Mantella Madagascariensis call about 60% of the day so it would be easy for me. Give it a try, look at e-bay under pro audio gear or studio gear and see what mics you come up with, remember measurement mics are much more sensitive and will give you a wider spectrum than say a use specific mic like a guitar amp that is limited to abot 65-100hz on the ow end and about 6-8.5k on the top end. May sound hard to grasp but if you need help you can PM me and I'll explain in more detail.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Luckily, in addition to being a herp addict, I am also a recording musician, and I have the the equipment to bridge my two hobbies. I use a roland vs24 virtual recording studio for my recordings, along with a sure beta 58 mic. The combination produces extremely clear and crisp recordings with endless possibilities (with regards to audio editing). The best part= on-board cd burner. I attempted using my portable digital voice recorder (Olympus DW-90) and came out with crappy results at best. I have done limited work with recording my leucs, and I plan on recording my imitators when I put them into their permanent viv.

~~Now if I could only bring the Roland into the field and record wild frogs.....that would be bliss...:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you have a good full duplex sound card and want to spend some time doing some soldering there are lots of DIY projects for mic preamps and Panasonic capsule type mic setups on the net. If you have a 160GB HD you could record on mono at 96kHz 8 bit all night then listen through 8-15 hrs depending on how much sleep you get, alls the amount worth of recording. Not Generally hi-quality but you'd get it. I have all day listening to my guys and they rarely take more than a 15 min rest. Plausible yes, realistic definatly, worth the time Hmmmm, I guess it depends on how dedicated you are. Just my two cents.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts