Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5,953 Posts
I've used rice for several years, and have never gotten mites (I have with other grains). In fact, I've never gotten mites since I started keeping springs on charcoal.

I've also never had any other foods produce springtails as well for me as rice has, especially after it forms a nice thick, moldy layer. They also produce a ton better for me if I keep them slightly cooler (I keep them on the bottom shelf in the basement).

To the OP - I would try a few different ways, and see what works best for you.

· Registered
5,953 Posts
I have used the yeast before, and was not horribly impressed with it - it worked, but I get 10 times the production out of the rice. I feed a substantial amount of rice (a handful) once a month, and within a couple of weeks, I have more springtails than I know what to do with.

· Registered
5,953 Posts
Yah, once you get a decent 'mat' of moldy rice going, you really end up with a ton of springtails. Then it's just a matter of pouring them out, and adding more water.

I like to feed springs to all the vivaria at least twice a month (once a week with the thumbs), and this method allows me to maximize production, while minimizing maintenance.

· Registered
5,953 Posts
okay people, listen to pumilo, the man is good at what he does! i have done what he has said. Water, coal, then throw bakers yeast 3 times to 4 times a week.... its clean, NO smell, and production is almost STUPID! why tinker? its proven and clean... just listen to the guy.
Have you ever tried rice?

· Registered
5,953 Posts
How do I make the rice mold? :confused:
You put a bunch of it in a damp springtail culture and forget about it :D

Like everything in this hobby, there are several different ways to do things. I tried this after talking to Josh (JoshsFrogs), and seeing some of the insanely producing cultures up at the facility. I've never had any issues with mites since switching to just rice, either.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.