Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an auratus tadpole a while back. A couple weeks ago, it started growing limbs. It was almost morphed out. Today, I checked it, and my little auratus was dead. I don't know what happened. I had a tilted container so it could get out of the water, changed its water, and fed it accordingly. Also, this was my first dart frog. Don't worry, I'm not discouraged. I plan on getting more. But what happened was really demoralizing.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Sorry you lost your tadpole. Once the frogs are ready to morph, they lose the ability to swim very well and can drown in what seems like a small amount of water. I place morphing frogs into a small tank with islands of Sphagnum moss, so they have something to crawl out onto.

Good luck in the future, Richard.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
A couple years back when I was rearing my first frogs, I lost some tads due to gas bubbles in their gut. Turns out I should have been using tadpole tea or blackwater extract to reduce the bacterial load. I learned my lesson.:(

·
Registered
59 Posts
i'm so sorry to hear that! :-( i wish i was experienced enough to offer you information.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Had the front legs popped out yet? Did it have a place to climb onto?

·
Registered
112 Posts
last year i raised 180 wood frogs from tads.... all at once what a nightmare:)
anyways i had maybe 10 out of 180 die in the morphing cups.

no apparent reason for it. maybe it is simply survival of the fittest. im not sure you did anything wrong.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sorry about your tad. Every body loses a tad or frog once in a while. Don't get discouraged over it. Still a fantastic hobby.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
This is the risk of buying tadpoles. It sucks, but it happens. That's why I've chosen never to sell or buy tadpoles. Too much can happen before they're fully morphed out.

·
Registered
188 Posts
It's good to hear you aren't discouraged! I'm a newb and from all the reading I've been doing I don't think anyone has never had at least one tad or frog die, it comes with the hobby I guess. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
It's good to hear you aren't discouraged! I'm a newb and from all the reading I've been doing I don't think anyone has never had at least one tad or frog die, it comes with the hobby I guess. Good luck!
Haha your sig claims you have two juvenile vivs... the ratios are supposed to be for animals, not inanimate objects!

I digress

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Haha your sig claims you have two juvenile vivs... the ratios are supposed to be for animals, not inanimate objects!

I digress
Not juvenile vivs - unsexed vivs. I have yet to see a 1.0 or a 0.1 vivarium . . .

Back on topic, glad to hear you're not discouraged. Tadpoles are not typically a great way to start out in the hobby. Where abouts are you located?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Once you get another dart, you should try to get a fully morphed frog (I can't remember the general range of age) because tadpoles aren't the best starter for a beginner. This is the first time I've heard of someone starting off with a tadpole.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all of the comments. I know some things I should have done, but the breeder that I bought it from had the same problem with the auratus in the same clutch. Hereditary defect?

Well, I will be getting a leucomelas froglet, maybe more, on Monday or Tuesday :). I have had my dart frog tank set up for about six months now, and it is loaded with microfauna.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts