Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Fruit flies don't tend to just spontaneously show up. Fungus gnats sure do though. They will spike for a while. Just about the time you decide you can't live it any more and think you have to do something about it, they will die back to nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd nip it in the but now. I had some fungus gnats in one of my tanks and they never did go away. I ended up having to take the whole tank apart and redo everything and I had to scrub all there eggs off my broms too it was a real pain. I'd deal with them before they get bad. Always better to be safe than sorry.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Fungus gnats are ubiquitous to any area that is moist and rich in organic matter. Their population may boom for a while, but it usually stabilizes over time. Their maggots are tiny and clear with a black head. They live in the organic matter in the tank and would be impossible to completely eradicate without destroying the biodiversity of your substrate. Because there are no frogs in the tank yet, you could put a small cup of fruit juice or other attractant with a drop of dish soap in it to break the surface tension. That will drown most of the adults, causing a smaller population. Once you get frogs, they will take care of the flyies for the most part.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Sounds like fungus gnats... as stated above. They'll boom for a while but as your tank matures their populations will most likely die down. I've found that my frogs love to hunt them!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts