Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Initially, I was trying to make a paludarium to raise (potentially pickerel) tadpoles in with separate water and soil sections. Despite doing several successful water tests before setting it up, water has been leaking through the vinyl barrier between the soil and the water (note: the rocks are siliconed onto the vinyl and not used as a barrier itself). Finding and fixing the leak would require me to practically dig up the whole tank so I’m thinking about allowing the leak to continue, turning it into sort of a wetland build. Will mold be an issue with a substrate of coco fiber, backyard soil, and sphagnum moss? Are there any other issues I would face with stagnant water in soil?
Plant Building Wood Rectangle Road surface

·
Super Moderator
1,079 Posts
I’m not sure what you mean by a vinyl barrier - did you try to silicone some kind of stiff plastic to glass? Unfortunately, while silicone is great at bonding glass to glass, it does not bond plastic to glass. So, you could tear down the tank and use a glass barrier instead, with the rocks glued to it to conceal it - but then you would still have water wicking over the barrier into the land section to contend with.

What you have currently is what I would call a swamp, not a bog. Have you smelled a swamp? I grew up next to one, and I have a strong feeling that your soil will rot and smell very strongly pretty quickly. The benefit of a bog is the very low pH, which may or may not be appropriate for your tadpoles. Carnivorous plant forums will be really helpful as far as bog soil choice; however, there are lots of soilless substrates you could use, and with an appropriate plant choice you could set up a nice bog or mostly scentless wetland. I can recommend aquatic “soils” like Amazonia, hydroponic substrates like LECA, or 50/50 silica sand and ground peat. I have used all of these in saturated conditions successfully. I will say, based on past experience, that saturated long fiber sphagnum degrades pretty fast, and I don’t recommend it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts