Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question is are they safe for the frogs.[/QUOTE]
my point exactly, the seller said they would absolutely thrive in a terrarium that was humid, but had no idea if they were safe for PDF's. so anyone know that is positive about Panellus Stipticus please post. i do know they are not edible, so is that a bad thing?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That looks interesting......Thanks for sharing.

I searched and could not find anything that says they are poisonious.....Bunch of stuff that say they don't taste good and shouldn't be eaten, but nothing that say they are harmful to amphibians.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks interesting......Thanks for sharing.

I searched and could not find anything that says they are poisonious.....Bunch of stuff that say they don't taste good and shouldn't be eaten, but nothing that say they are harmful to amphibians.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MY FINDINGS AS WELL.

the seller on ebay said: All you need is a 5/16" drill bit, and a hardwood log, we give you everything else in the kit.

so what hardwood wood/logs could i use that is safe in the tanks, and i can cut into various shapes to place the mushroom spores on to grow?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i think this has been brought up in the past, but the only thing you need to pay attention about is the spores once your fungi fruits. its known to get in the lungs (warm damp and dark...). but lets face it we all love it when a fungus fruits in our tanks naturally hahaha

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
yes it has been discussed before.

to my knowledge no one has been successful getting these to grow in the terrarium. growing mushrooms isnt as easy as just throwing some inoculated plugs in a tank or even placing an inoculated piece of alder (etc.) in the tank.

dont waste your money imo.

also there isnt really a risk of spore inhalation that i know of. wild mushrooms sprout in nearly every tank at some point, introduced by anything from driftwood to leaf litter and even just floating into the tank.

james

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so if everyone sprouts shrooms and one point in time there is a risk of it being poisonous as opposed to non poisonous. with this being non poisonous there shouldn't be a poison risk involved then?

so my question is since it is not edible then and springtails somehow eat them or a spore could that then possibly kill your frogs?

if anyone has a link to previous threads about these mushrooms please post.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm not finding any threads where people have actually tried growing these within the last couple of years. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out :)

...the ebay seller should give you a discount if it works ;), because I guarantee if someone gets glowing mushrooms growing in a viv, then there's going to be a big sudden surge of glowing mushroom sales...

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would definately buy them if they worked

·
Registered
521 Posts
What I would do: Get a really rotten piece of wood from a forest. Like spongey rotten. Boil/bake it to sanitize (I thought spores need sterile places to sprout) then spread them on there. Try some on it, in it, maybe underneath. Do whatever.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
have any of you cultured mycelium before? it doesnt sound like it and im trying to tell you that success with these is going to be nearly impossible in the viv. aside from having the wrong conditions, the culture can be easily overtaken by other molds/fungus.

also most people plug solid hardwoods (usually alder or beech)or culture on chips, not a random rotting log.

james

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Here's the ebay pic for those who didn't click on it

looks awesome =]

I wonder if there are any tropical bioluminescent mushrooms that could be used in vivs?

And if it these don't work, I remember reading through a thread that a member was selling clay mushrooms that glowed...

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Here's the ebay pic for those who didn't click on it

looks awesome =]

I wonder if there are any tropical bioluminescent mushrooms that could be used in vivs?

And if it these don't work, I remember reading through a thread that a member was selling clay mushrooms that glowed...
those arent even panellus stipticus. which look like this

there are some tropical ones from brazil, but spore prints are unavaliable (i contacted the team which discovered them a few years back)

the clay ones are the way to go for sure. im going to be trying my hand at them tomorrow.
heres a link to the oven bake glow in the dark clay:
Sculpey III Polymer Clay 2 Ounces - Glow in The Dark
james

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they look too cool not to try them. i may give them a try inside and outside. i will start another thread next week with the entire process from beginning to end.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
So after some more googling, i think that the mushrooms in the ebayer's pictures are actually Mycena lux-coeli, a species from Japan:
Rainy season brings glow-in-the-dark mushrooms ~ Pink Tentacle

Sporeworks also has another bioluminescent species, Omphalotus nidiformis (Ghost Fungus)
The Spore Works :: Specialty Mushroom Cultures :: Culture Slants :: Omphalotus nidiformis : Ghost Fungus Culture Slant

Maybe you could contact them about bioluminescent shrooms for vivs, and tell them that you know a bunch of people that would buy them if they could supply it lol

EDIT:
Did some more searching and found another species:
http://www.carolina.com/product/bioluminescent+fungus+kit.do?keyword=Bioluminescent&sortby=bestMatches

1 - 20 of 125 Posts