Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having looked in several similar threads, I haven't found the answer I am looking for, therefore I will pose it to you!

I received some orchids from andysorchids.com (awesome shop) and they are all attached and rooted to sticks, wood panels and treefern panels. I want to remove them and attach them to the large driftwood stump I got from thedriftwoodstore.com (also awesome).

First of all, should I attempt this? If so, will the roots come out easily, or will they rip off? If they do rip, is that severely bad for the plant of will it be OK?

I'm sure some of you have attempted/been successful at this, and if you have, how did you do it?

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can remove the orchids from their original mounts and re-mount them on the driftwood.
Just be careful around the roots. They're delicate and you will lose some, but it will not kill the plant to lose some bits. I've used a knife before to get under the roots and pry them off the mount.
If the species are attached to the mount with no sphagnum under them, mount them without sphagnum by wrapping fishing line around the plant and the driftwood. If they are mounted on sphagnum, put a small clump under the roots as a bed and wrap them in fishing line.
Also, make sure you know exactly where you want each plant to grow before you attach them.

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Take the whole mount, and soak it in room temp water for several minutes. This will soften the roots a bit, and make the plant easier to remove from the mount. Then just attach to your stump with fishing line, and a pad of sphag. Couldnt be easier, and don't worry about losing a FEW roots.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If any small cuttings fall off while working on this the correct procedure is to put them in a ziplock baggie with a splash of water and bring them to me when you come check out the frogroom on Sunday!!;)

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
What species of orchids are you trying to do this with? I ask because many species sulk for years with just the slightest root disturbance. Many will do fine with the loss of a few roots, but some are much more sensitive. All of the plants I've ever gotten from Andy's have been very well-rooted into their mounts. To be on the safe side, I would mount the whole mount onto the new log, but it may not be very aesthetically pleasing. I would say be extremely careful but its possible to re-mount as long as its not a really touchy species.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts