Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, I would like to know from the long time breeders what is considered to be the rarest frog in this hobby.:)

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Not really a long time breeder, but still have a decent feel for what's out there.

Mantella cowani, moonshine galactonotus, black auratus, gold auratus, black jeans pumilio, granuliferous, & vincentei to name a few.

If you're considering illegal frogs, then the dude who claimed to have a Monte Iberia Eleuth here a month ago probably takes the cake.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been wanting a black auratus for some time. Is the red galact making a comeback in the hobby? You tend to see them a little more recently.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
those are no where near as rare as some others. especially some morphs of histrionica, sylvatica, and of course the rarest is probably lehmanni (the yellow population).

·
Registered
250 Posts
So Castro let a few of those out did he? Lol

Tclipse.... What's that frog in your avatar? ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Rarest Frogs in the hobby...

Robalo Pumilio
Uyama River Pumilio

As far as whats been here but may not be legal it would be a couple others. I wouldnt stress on the unknown legal status of the Histo's and Sylvaticus.

Michael

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
With 7 posts, you want to start off with the rarest frog?

As the title states, I would like to know from the long time breeders what is considered to be the rarest frog in this hobby.:)

Reactions: rcteem

·
Banned
579 Posts
The central texas bull frog...or the petsmart firebelly toad might be a jyst a tad more rare and elusive than hists,sylvs and lemahnnis...:D

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The rarest frog? The one you're not interested in.

Folks like to stick with frogs of 'prestige'...but it's the less glamorous species that are generally the ones least represented in the hobby. We lost, for instance, the "Giron Valley" form of E. anthonyi completely from the hobby sometime over the last decade. How many are working with the "Salvias" form anymore? These are frogs that will probably rarely, if ever, make it onto anyone's rare frog list, but probably some of the most tenuous forms represented because of the assumed commonality and high rate of fecundity.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With 7 posts, you want to start off with the rarest frog?
I'm not interested in owning the rarest frog I was just trying to make conversation on the board. In this hobby there are always new interesting frogs popping up. As for 7 posts....I guess because I only have 7 posts on the dendroboard community I know nothing about darts...wow.:eek: Been keeping herps my entire life and I got into darts over 2 years ago and have been successfully breeding since.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'm not interested in owning the rarest frog I was just trying to make conversation on the board. In this hobby there are always new interesting frogs popping up. As for 7 posts....I guess because I only have 7 posts on the dendroboard community I know nothing about darts...wow.:eek: Been keeping herps my entire life and I got into darts over 2 years ago and have been successfully breeding since.
Pay no attention to assumed intentions. A lot of the long timers on here have seen many noobs come on and try and buy the rarest thing they can find to make money, kind of the whole ball python thing, so you can understand that they could jump to conclusions. I find the rarity subject fascinating.... Not because I want to own one, but because it's interesting to learn about these little known breeds.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dont sweat the comment DARTGUY41. I love dendroboard, the wealth of info and the genuinely helpfull people are awesome! One thing I have noticed about this board tho is there are ALOT of D Bags, know it alls, etc. You've got to sift through ALOT of BS to get to something worth reading. Anyways as I am a "noob" like yourself (only 8 yrs keeping PDFs) I have often thought this is a very interesting topic. But as a only 8ish post person myself I guess I should'nt say too much.

Ryan

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
there are probably people with very rare frogs in the hobby, but thats really too broad a question. by hobby, does a single individual or a few people having a frog make it "in the hobby" there is also a LOT of discretion when interpreting "rare". i wouldnt be surprised to find that some frogs, which arent even believed to be in captivity, are hiding out in a few collections. sirensis for example. if twomey and brown could find them, im sure a smuggler could too, perhaps even more easily since smugglers give monetary incentives to locals.

and on the topic of people here on DB.
with a new join date and low post count, even after both of you have explained that you've been in the dart hobby for years, you could in reality be a 12 year old sitting at home on moms computer with 0 dart experience, and none of us would be the wiser. with a long post history its easy to tell that at least youve been active in reading and responding to posts, and its usually assumed that you know SOME about the ins and outs of the hobby as well as the animals. to come on here and act like someone was an ass for calling you out is ridiculous. its a pretty tight knit community, and like or hate each other, names and info travel quick. its far more likley that your average person looking for comments on this sort of question, is new to the hobby and unaware of the implications with owning these animals, which is generally the endgame.
and in this case i think the "D Bags" are people who assume everyone should look at a low post count or new join date and say, "of course that person has close to a decade of experience with darts" i sure as hell know i'm not a mind reader. my exes would be happy to confirm this.

james

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and on the topic of people here on DB.
with a new join date and low post count, even after both of you have explained that you've been in the dart hobby for years, you could in reality be a 12 year old sitting at home on moms computer with 0 dart experience, and none of us would be the wiser. with a long post history its easy to tell that at least youve been active in reading and responding to posts, and its usually assumed that you know SOME about the ins and outs of the hobby as well as the animals. to come on here and act like someone was an ass for calling you out is ridiculous. its a pretty tight knit community, and like or hate each other, names and info travel quick. its far more likley that your average person looking for comments on this sort of question, is new to the hobby and unaware of the implications with owning these animals, which is generally the endgame.
and in this case i think the "D Bags" are people who assume everyone should look at a low post count or new join date and say, "of course that person has close to a decade of experience with darts" i sure as hell know i'm not a mind reader. my exes would be happy to confirm this.

james

Really? Some of you guys are way uptight....generally why I never join forums. Instead of having a healthy discussion on the rarest frogs in captivity to expand all of our knowledge, it becomes an argument or an issue on who knows more about what. It is completely rediculous. I never came on here and acted like someone was an ass. I just assumed I had the right to ask a simple question to get a discussion going no matter how many posts I have. I thought that is what discussion forums are about.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
In this hobby, rarity implies and translates to valuable. If you are interested in making conversation, perhaps a better thread title might be "What are the most interesting frogs people are working with". That takes the money equation out of the conversation.

Richard.

Reactions: rcteem

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I have often wondered the same thing, but after a while (and lots of reading) you just learn whats rare, whats common, what people are hoping to see soon, what should be coming in soon, what has been lost from the hobby, etc... This could become a very informative thread as long as the intentions are clear. I would love to learn more about some of the more rare species/morphs, why they are rare, and how we as a hobby can work together to stabilize/increase captive populations. I for one would feel much more fulfilled keeping a species/morph that may be disappearing from the hobby/wild, than I would just choosing my next frog on looks/personality. Anyone else think this is worthwhile? Should we start a new thread?

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/45372-rare-frogs.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/21283-rare-frogs.html
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/ge...yone-know-about-imports-other-rare-frogs.html
heres a few threads that discuss similar topics, so saying that im trying to take the thread off track (i DID comment on the original topic) and interrupt the discussion or flow of new info, is...not true, the topic has been discussed before, theres just not much new info to be obtained here anyway, or at least not info or discussion that hasnt occurred before and could be found easily.

anyway, i was just commenting on how its annoying to see people with low post counts get riled up because someone made the assumption that they were a new hobbyist. i had dart experience WELL before i joined the forum, but i certainly didnt call anyone names for making the same assumptions about me.

james

1 - 20 of 70 Posts