Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the direction of some less common Scindapsus or Philodendron species? I'm looking for something with foliage between 2-5" in length, creeping or trailing growth habits that can spread quickly. Nothing against the standard Golden Pothos, I'm just sick of seeing them everywhere. I'm starting on the row of standard 10s on my rack, and I'd like some suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Ende Wimbe philodendron is pretty cool, black jungle has it.
I am expecting some from Tropiflora in my next order, I guess they have some stuff for a show they are about to do. Im not sure what yet, i have to wait till after their show to see what leftover i think.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Ryan I think he meant he has to wait to order after the show. I will be going though :D

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Ah awesome! What day will you be going? I'm hoping to be there sunday, because i have plans tomorrow and saterday.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I am hoping to be there sunday, but I am not sure yet.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Philodendron that stay small are very very rare. All Philodendron have a juvenile type of growth were they stay small and look like a vine but if you grow it sucessefully it will become with leaves measuring more than 2 feets easily....and thats for all species exept the subgenus pteromiscum.
About the Pothos (Epiprenum), I've seen leaves measuring 2 feets, and as the plants become older, hole in the leaves are appearing like in Monstera (in fact they are close relative).
Aroids that would do well and stay smaller are some species of Anthurium (trinerve, gracile...), some small monstera such as M. obliqua and raphidophora species.

Take care

·
Registered
621 Posts
Wow, I just checked out Cloud Jungle and its awesome. Where is he located. One plant i would like to highlight out of the tons he has there. Microgramma Nitidia, he is charging 1/3 what it normally is at other terrarium supply shops. I recommend this plant, we tried to sell a few cutting at the indy show, but nothing doing. Great vining fern.
Another cool 2 pothos and philo, is The Brazil Philo, and the Neon Pothos. You dont see nearly enough of these two, and they are quite bit cooler than marble pothos.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Great minds think alike or is it obsessed people think alike? :roll:

I love the neon pothos because a bright red colored frog really jumps out at you in terms of contrast!

·
Registered
64 Posts
be carefull with that neon pothos, it is exactly the same species as the normal pothos exept it is not a variegated form. The photos you see at the plants nursery are baby pothos. The latin name is Epiprenum aureum.
And I can tell you that this become huge with years......this is my personnal experiences as I work with Aroids at the Montreal Botanical Garden.
Here is some picrtures of what it will become like:

Of couse they look cute when they are young but what is the point of putting a plant in a terrarium if it is 100% sure you will have to remove it?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most of the vines type aroids (Philo, Monstera, Epiprenum aka, Pothos.....) will not become adults if they do not have a support such as a branch, tree.....so this is why they sell it as a house plants in hanging baskets or small pots. In a terrarium, if the plants is able to find a support for his adventive roots it will transform into its adult form. Those plants have 2 forms, because in the rainforest, there is not enougth light under the canopy so instead the plants will creep as a vines at the forest floor until it finds a tree, then it will climb the tree and as soon as there is enought light it will transform into its adult form.

Take care

1 - 20 of 28 Posts