Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen this title for a while now and I am wondering exactly what a rare pumilio is. I am only sure that the Robalo(?) aka black and white are actually rare even for pumilios. I remember when the bluejeans came in this country and then at one point they became hard to obtain and everyonce in a while they pop up. I remember when the bluejeans were 35 bucks from one importer, I could kick myself all day long missing out on that. Anyways Im wondering what qualifies thier rarity, and what are the actual rare pums. Except for the recent farm raised imports none of them are actually truly easy to get. I better get some of those before im kickin myself again, one day is enough in a life time.

jason talbott

·
Super Moderator
3,611 Posts
I think that just about anything that hasn't come in with the recent FR shipments can be condsidered "rare" in the hobby. BJs, Nancies, and any basti morph besides the red/orange. I've been seeing more Bri Bris lately, which is encouraging, but I can only think of 2-3 morphs which I would consider "common" right now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
since we're on the topic of pums, i'd like to know what the difference is between man creeks, almirante, and blue jeans. they are all similar correct? there must be subtle differences.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
josh_r said:
since we're on the topic of pums, i'd like to know what the difference is between man creeks, almirante, and blue jeans. they are all similar correct? there must be subtle differences.
It's already been said that is is based on location. But I'm confused myself whether there are any true Almirante in the hobby. I know some of the recent imports came in as Almirante but then it was discovered the founders were actually collected at Man Creek. True blue jeans tend to range in the interior of Nicaragua and Costa Rica as I recall.

The question of rarity is an interesting one. Are we talking about rare in nature or rare in the hobby? Blue jeans are pretty darn common in nature but they are pretty darn hard to breed so, even though they have probably been imported in higher numbers than any other morph, they remain quite rare in the hobby. There are a few people having some luck breeding them but not many. Bri bri were doing well for awhile thanks largely to Patrick I think but they seem to have fallen out of popularity with the new imports coming in. Bastis seem to breed reasonably well too and there are a few people breeding the greens. I've also seen quite a few pics of almirante/man creek froglets which is a good sign. But I worry that the number of pumilio morphs in the hobby may be more than there are good froggers to breed them. I tend to judge rarity in the hobby by how many cb froglets are being produced since that is the best indicator of how available the frogs will be when the importations dry up.

G

·
just to reply, I had great difficulty getting my blue jeans to breed, I finally sold them off.(i got my blue jeans when they were very cheap a couple of years ago) My solid green have bred many times for me. (I don't know the actual name of these guys, I have just been calling them solid green, I will post pics when I get back from switzerland) And I had difficulty getting my basti's to breed, so I sold them off as well. Mostly my neighbor has them now, and he can't breed them either. My brother got my basti's to breed, so go figure. I have been searching awhile to locate green/blue pumilios, what is the official name for these? Are they rare in the hobby?It seems they are.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
as far as the difference besides local

This is general but more of an idea..

blue jeans have the bright and darker blue legs and black dots on the red.
man creeks/almirante(whichever they get called have greyish blue legs rather than so blue as the blue jeans and as far as I know they dont have the spots like blue jeans.
theres a very specific post on here ill look up when i got a few more minutes about the color morphs.

Im wondering which morphs would be considered rare to those who have been collecting pumilios for a long time and have the general pums?

jason talbott

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
If you are referring to the "green and blue" from pumilio.com, don't hold your breath on that one, lol, it may very well be that that pic is of the only animal in the country (or one of only a handful, I haven't heard recently if there was any more). Thats about as official a name as you will get for that specific frog, as it was around when they named by color rather than local, because local wasn't known (they might now know where that frog came from). This is similar to the orange and greens... they are, well, orange and green, and it took a while before their local was found.

There are some of the chiriqui rivers that have that nice dusty grey/blue and green going on, but not as vibrant as the "green and blue" from pumilio.com.... which I would probibly call a rare morph hobby wise (which may never get established in the hobby).

BJ and man creek wise... if you put them right next to each other, you'd see the difference (I've seen both in person). The BJs are a cobalt blue to black, while the man creeks are a dusty grey/blue to almost just grey. Size, a little bit of shape, and the "strawberry" speckles common (but not always present) on BJs is another way to tell them apart. Some of its hard to explain... I've stared at so many BJs that when I saw the Man Creeks they jumped out and screamed at me that they weren't BJs...

Or maybe I just need more sleep so the frogs will stop talking to me.

In the hobby, Almerante and Man Creek are pretty much synonyms... people looked at pics and realized they looked more like almerante rather than BJs and started selling them as that.... in reality there is a large size difference and they weren't originally collected near the almerante population. The populations looks strikingly similar even though they are not that close to each other... I think there might be other populations that look similar as another as well.

G

·
MVE,
Are the solid green pum you are talking about Chiraquis or Shepards? My Shepards are basically green but have bronze legs.They are somewhat rare but by no means like the bj's are.The first round of froglets from one of my pairs all came out with SLS.I think both of my pairs are egg feeding now so I hope they all come out fine this time.
Mark W.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts