Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of getting into the blackwater vents--I love the way they look--but I've heard they don't breed readily and that they're excessively shy. Those are the two things I don't want in a frog, because I don't see the point in buying a frog I'll never see, and I'm trying to steer away from the touchier breeders. I haven't seen many of these available, though I admittedly haven't really been looking before now, and I'm wondering why that is.

I found a guy with a couple of these--I think there were three, though maybe four--and one is a calling male, the other two possible females around breeding age. I want to know more before I drive out to him to see the frogs in person (I think he was asking $250, but we discussed a lot of frogs, so I can't remember exactly). Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Both groups of vents (Iquitos, FG) I've worked with have been skittish.. out and about, but they hop off if i get too close.

Iquitos vents (look nearly identical to Blackwaters) have been easy to breed but some of the tads have had issues before leaving the egg..... the tradeoff is that the parents lay a crapton of eggs (5-6 every 5 days or so), so I've still ended up with lots of tadpoles.

Varadero imitators are pretty similar in color and usually more bold, with virtually no breeding difficulties.... chazutas would be a good option to look into also also.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Blackwaters are skittish but they get bolder after a while. As for breeding, if you do it right, they breed just as much as any other amazonica. By the way, they were placed into the amazonica species name a bit ago, no longer vents.

I've heard the 'Iquitos Red-Orange' amazonica are much more bold, and as what has been said, are very similar in appearance. Although there are some differences.

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
With all thumbs it is about tank design, humidity, time of day....

All are shy in general, all can be visible and photgraphed if conditions are right.

Blackwaters were amazing looking when I had them 3 yrs ago....but I wasnt terribly successful in breeding. Few clutches. Nothing like other vents Ive had.....and Ive had them all.

Still....beautiful critters and worth the try IMO

Best

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My Iquitos vents, which are very similar in terms of appearance, have become very bold. It took them awhile, but after a year or so, with the tank very grown in (the entire back wall is literally 2-3" of creeping fig vines) I can see at least two (of the 4) all the time. The male is slightly more skittish than the females, but when he is calling he doesn't hop away at all. For whatever reason, they have been a real problem in terms of breeding for me personally... they just never seem to lay eggs but everyone else seems to have plenty of breeding from theirs.
I haven't kept the blackwaters, but I know at least one sponsor here is breeding them and seems to have them for sale pretty often. I would think that, if you give them the right type of set-up and time, they can be bold just like most other Ranitomeya.
Good luck,
Bryan

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I've heard the 'Iquitos Red-Orange' amazonica are much more bold, and as what has been said, are very similar in appearance. Although there are some differences.
I'm not sure in relation to Blackwaters as I've never kept them, but this is definitely true relative to FG vents and lamasi. I always see at least one, and it/they will stay out unless I put my face within 1-2 feet of the tank or reach to open the door..... especially if they're courting/breeding at the time. They also hop off at a pretty leisurely pace instead of darting for cover like the other species I mentioned..... but my particular group still doesn't hold a candle to imitators/variabilis in the boldness department.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts