Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Very gorgeous frogs you have there. Give them some time, and they may come out more. I had given up hope of ever seeing one of mine, but he's much more active now.

Also: these are some amazing shots you've managed to get

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
In my experience this species of frogs are VERY inquisitive. Adding new items to their tank will cause them to go explore. I put in half a coconut shell and within minutes 2 of my 3 uakarii were investigating it to see whether it might contain food lol

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! I'm using extension tubes on my DSLR as a poor-mans macro lens, but frankly these days, I'd probably be better off just using my phone.

I did notice the first few days in the viv that some of them were all over, exploring, and seemingly not afraid of me standing nearby. Lately, they seem to have found their respective favorite hiding spots, and one or two of them are pretty reclusive, and will hop for cover under a leaf if I show up. I haven't noticed any bullying yet, or really any interaction to speak of really. I suspect they're on the cusp of sexual maturity though and I'll hear calling soon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
WOW! Those photos are wonderful and really show off your frogs beautifully! The little guy in the bromeliad was super cute!

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
39 Posts
This species looks awesome, very very beautiful. How bold do you find them to be? Are they out and about most of the time and stay out when they know of your presence? Or mostly hide out and scurry away if they see you?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's hard to say anything definitely about their personalities yet, as I've only had them a few months, and they aren't mature yet (or at least, I haven't heard any calling).

Of the group of 5 though, 2 or 3 of them don't really seem to care if I'm around or not, 1 is a little shy, and 1 is very shy and will disappear as soon as he sees me. I usually see them out and about in the mornings and evenings (my lights simulate a solar day), or after the daily thunderstorm (lights slowly dim, sounds of thunder and simulated lightning, then the misters turn on).

For what it's worth, the breeder says these are "by far" the boldest species in his collection though, and he breeds a lot of different Ranitomeya.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts