Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a few R. reticulata yesterday. I bred them about 5-6 years ago. I was searching around and started seeing different locales that used to be in the US. Does anyone work with different ones currently? I saw old line solid, a white foot variety, a different locales aside from the Iquitos that are currently available.
Curious to know if anyone had extensive knowledge on this? Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
Those are cute little fellas! Which kind did you get? I got a group of 4 from UE a couple of years ago and I can only remember the solid (that I got) and a different kind - spotted? I seem to recall they looked like yours. In fact, the ones I have look a whole lot like that as froglets then the black voids mostly fill in as they age. I am sorry I don't have any information about old lines, but it is a real bummer that these fantastic animals come into the hobby and don't stick around for whatever reason. I shake my head about the loss of so many species and locales in the hobby.

Mark

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those are cute little fellas! Which kind did you get? I got a group of 4 from UE a couple of years ago and I can only remember the solid (that I got) and a different kind - spotted? I seem to recall they looked like yours. In fact, the ones I have look a whole lot like that as froglets then the black voids mostly fill in as they age. I am sorry I don't have any information about old lines, but it is a real bummer that these fantastic animals come into the hobby and don't stick around for whatever reason. I shake my head about the loss of so many species and locales in the hobby.

Mark
Mine are UE line. From what I've read the UE line have both solid red and striped forms and will produce both potentially. I know when I got my original pair I had one red and one spotted directly from UE

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
That's interesting. When I ordered, I am almost certain that I had to specify solid or whatever they were calling the spotted morph. Maybe that distinction is artificial. There is certainly variability in the offspring of mine that would indicate some flexibility in their appearance. Regardless, I will sell mine as reticulata 'solid' because that's what I bought them as. Keep a close eye on them. They hit the floor more often than any other frog I have :) So fast and skittish.

Mark

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think selling them as solid UE line is probably good if that's how you bought them. I was breeding one species of day gecko. Both males had lots of spots, 1 female had only a couple spots and the other lots of spots. The pair that both had lots of spots had babies that typically had lots of spots. The pair with the female lacking as many spots had a lot more babies with few spots. Probably works out very similar with the frogs. When will you have some solids available?

·
Super Moderator
2,695 Posts
My guess is Spring at the earliest. One thing I have noticed is that they grow really slowly. There seems to be a phase at the very beginning where they can only eat springtails and they just take forever to get to the point where they can eat flies consistently. I offer both the whole time, but feel like they need the springtail crutch for quite a while. I don't want to sell them until I am sure they are well started. UE shipped me near-adults and I would prefer to do the same for any that I sell to others.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts