Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Dendroboarders,

Should I keep a group of Ranitomeya Reticulata together or only in pairs?

I found an old post on here from 2014 about this but did not wish to revive it, and am looking for some up-to-date info on these dart frogs, especially from those who keep/have kept them.

I have a well planted and established 18x18x24 Exo Terra ready to go to house them. Temperatures hold between 72 to 78 deg F. With humidity sustained at 70-90%, misted by hand once a day.

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep retics, but I don't feel as if I have much of a handle on their care. I keep 1.1 in an Amazonia. I've had mine about a year.

Better keepers than I am have kept them in groups (this example a larger viv than yours or mine).
Thank you for your input! One thing the last post was mostly devoid of terrarium sizes!

May I ask the dimensions of your Amazonia?

I am looking to house approx 7 of them, I believe they are 3 females 4 males. I can do multiple enclosures.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
7 is WAY too many for an 18x18x24" terrarium, IMO.

I keep Ranitomeya sirensis, which are among the best group Ranitomeya, and I keep 6-8 (started with 6, they've raised a couple of froglets) in a 36x18x24"
Exactly! I was thinking three or four together in one. I have a few 18x18x24 but I also have a custom 20x24x60 and a 24x24x36 hexagon custom :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chris! For safety sake then I think I will house them separately.

What is the best way to ID this species/morph for gender, outside of seeing a male call? I can take pictures later this week if needed before I introduce them

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks Chris! For safety sake then I think I will house them separately.

What is the best way to ID this species/morph for gender, outside of seeing a male call? I can take pictures later this week if needed before I introduce them

Thanks!
There is no other way to reliably ID them outside of calling (which sounds like a low buzzing and can be hard to recognize or hear at times), unless you witness courtship or other direct mating behaviour. This is not as reliable though, as many can mistaken aggression for courtship or vice versa. Young frogs will often tolerate each other without any issue until becoming sexually active, which can give you a chance to observe. These are smaller Ranitomeya, so trying to determine by size is extremely hard.

You can try separating into individual small deli cups and misting them heavily, this can sometimes entice a call from males. This doesn't help much for females though - and in my experience, females in both the reticulata and imitator groups are more apt to fight, leading sometimes to a disappearance or death. Males will often not call or otherwise challenge a more dominant male in a small enclosure (and act female in some cases).

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
Thank you for your input! One thing the last post was mostly devoid of terrarium sizes!

May I ask the dimensions of your Amazonia?

I am looking to house approx 7 of them, I believe they are 3 females 4 males. I can do multiple enclosures.
InSitu Amazonias are ~22" x 17" x 24"( l x w x h). They're a bit larger in usable volume than an 18 x 18 x 24 Exo with a standard drainage arrangement (sloped bottoms are nice). This size viv seems ideal for a pair.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I don't know about the specific species you're looking at, but I do have R. Imitator Chazutas. I have three, two calling males and one female in a custom made tank, (A one off), and all three are bold and use the whole tank, spending most of their time on leaves, on the higher up cork and broms. As I've seen some of the more experienced forgers on here point out, the frogs also need some space between each other. Just something to also keep in mind. And they all get along tremendously. Sometimes I think the males are talking to one another. But, they can all get away from each other when they need to.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I don't know about the specific species you're looking at, but I do have R. Imitator Chazutas. I have three, two calling males and one female in a custom made tank, (A one off), and all three are bold and use the whole tank, spending most of their time on leaves, on the higher up cork and broms. As I've seen some of the more experienced forgers on here point out, the frogs also need some space between each other. Just something to also keep in mind. And they all get along tremendously. Sometimes I think the males are talking to one another. But, they can all get away from each other when they need to.
The species is listed in the title and these frogs are very different from any other ranitomeya.

This thread is a good example of why this species is not recommended for beginners. I consider 18x18x24" to be bare minimum for your average ranitomeya. I only know a couple of people keeping these guys and they're all in larger enclosures. I know one of them has a 1.2 in a 36x36" exo and he hasn't experienced any significant aggression.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The species is listed in the title and these frogs are very different from any other ranitomeya.

This thread is a good example of why this species is not recommended for beginners. I consider 18x18x24" to be bare minimum for your average ranitomeya. I only know a couple of people keeping these guys and they're all in larger enclosures. I know one of them has a 1.2 in a 36x36" exo and he hasn't experienced any significant aggression.
That's not what I meant, but anyway, just so he gets an idea.

·
Administrator
6,982 Posts
Sounds like a pair per tank!
Now, curiously, would a 1 female 2 male trio be acceptable?
It might be, but it would risk the life of a male to find out. I don't get the impression from keeping this species that I'd have any chance of telling if something was going wrong. I find them hard to read.

Interesting and relevant article on wild behavior: Home range behaviour in male and female poison frogs in Amazonian Peru (Dendrobatidae: Ranitomeya reticulata)

"In R. reticulata, individual home range size and overlap were similar in both sexes, indicating equal levels of site fidelity. Although territory defence was never observed, strong intrasexual intolerance within individuals’ core areas was found. The large intersexual home range overlap for breeding pairs indicated that mate fidelity occurs."

Sort of implies to me that they'll kick the extra male out, but no one will see it happening.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It might be, but it would risk the life of a male to find out. I don't get the impression from keeping this species that I'd have any chance of telling if something was going wrong. I find them hard to read.

Interesting and relevant article on wild behavior: Home range behaviour in male and female poison frogs in Amazonian Peru (Dendrobatidae: Ranitomeya reticulata)

"In R. reticulata, individual home range size and overlap were similar in both sexes, indicating equal levels of site fidelity. Although territory defence was never observed, strong intrasexual intolerance within individuals’ core areas was found. The large intersexual home range overlap for breeding pairs indicated that mate fidelity occurs."

Sort of implies to me that they'll kick the extra male out, but no one will see it happening.
Excellent. Very well, I have a 30X30X80 custom terrarium I am building, I will keep a 1.1. pair in it. Great!

In reference to JasonE - interesting that you mention 18X18X24 to be the bare minimum for Ranitomeya, may I ask where you got that information? I am NOT doubting it's validity, as I agree with it. I have been told by several people that they do and you can keep several species (reticulata excluded) of Ranitomeya in a 12X12X18 in pairs... I believe more space is always better. I mentioned this to one of the smaller enclosure people and they said, quote - "If the space is too big, a breeding pair may not find one another effectively, and this may lead to reduced breeding production". Personally I think this is incorrect, but what are your thoughts, Dendro-folk?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Excellent. Very well, I have a 30X30X80 custom terrarium I am building, I will keep a 1.1. pair in it. Great!

In reference to JasonE - interesting that you mention 18X18X24 to be the bare minimum for Ranitomeya, may I ask where you got that information? I am NOT doubting it's validity, as I agree with it. I have been told by several people that they do and you can keep several species (reticulata excluded) of Ranitomeya in a 12X12X18 in pairs... I believe more space is always better. I mentioned this to one of the smaller enclosure people and they said, quote - "If the space is too big, a breeding pair may not find one another effectively, and this may lead to reduced breeding production". Personally I think this is incorrect, but what are your thoughts, Dendro-folk?
Frogs call for a reason I doubt small distances we work with would have much effect.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Frogs call for a reason I doubt small distances we work with would have much effect.
Hello my friend! Precisely my thoughts.

By the way, the frogs in question I plan to get came into my friend's posession from David Reid (Reed?) I was wondering if he has a presense here or if I can contact him to ask about how they were being cared for previously as well as housing of them and any particular info on them.

David, if you read this, please message me! Thanks!

·
Administrator
4,515 Posts
In reference to JasonE - interesting that you mention 18X18X24 to be the bare minimum for Ranitomeya, may I ask where you got that information?
Not trying to speak for Jason, but I suspect it's not something he read, but from his experience keeping Ranitomeya. I likewise house my Ranitomeya in 18x18x24" tanks or larger as I've seen great changes in behaviour (for the better) when there in bigger tanks. More active, bolder, etc.

I mentioned this to one of the smaller enclosure people and they said, quote - "If the space is too big, a breeding pair may not find one another effectively, and this may lead to reduced breeding production".
Well, they find each other in the wild with 1000's of gallons of space between them. I do not take this response seriously.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not trying to speak for Jason, but I suspect it's not something he read, but from his experience keeping Ranitomeya. I likewise house my Ranitomeya in 18x18x24" tanks or larger as I've seen great changes in behaviour (for the better) when there in bigger tanks. More active, bolder, etc.

Well, they find each other in the wild with 1000's of gallons of space between them. I do not take this response seriously.
Completely agreed my friend. All of mine are housed in 18x18x24 or larger, I do have a 12x12x18 I use for fresh froglettes though so I can keep an eye on them and ensure they are feeding well.

Sounds like I will house a pair of reticulata in my new big custom hexagon! I will just need to set it up. It is 24*26*26

1 - 20 of 49 Posts