Dendroboard banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Kyle
That intermedius of mine is incorrectly labeled. It is a stripped variant of the Tarlton line of standard intermedius. True banded intermedius are circumferentially banded like yellow fants.

Shawn

kyle1745 said:
Dendrobates imitator:
  • Difficulty: Intermediate – Based on size and speed.
    [/*:m:22lisqpb]
  • Location & History – Rainforests of northeastern Peru. Discovered by Schulte (1986, 1999). (1,2)
  • Descriptions & Behavior: Small outgoing to mildly skittish frog. The common name of this species is the mimic poison frog due to their resemblance to other dendrobatids. Three subspecies are recognized:

Note: These morphs represent unique subpopulations in the wild that share general physical characterisitics, and for that reason different morphs should not be mixed.

Dendrobates imitator imitator - Aka 'Nominal', 'Green', 'Standard', 'Cainarachi Valley'. Display black spots on a metallic green, legs can be metallic green to blue in color with black spots. Generally mimics D. variabilis. This population evidently shows at least two different "types" in the wild with color and pattern variations, both of which have been represented in the hobby for years by different bloodlines. Most recently, INIBICO has brought in 'Cainarachi Valley', likely the same population already in the hobby, with both the "green striped" type (green markings with large blotched patterns) and the "yellow" type (more yellow coloration with finer, rounder spotting on the back). The types are mearly varients in the population and can be interbred.

Dendrobates imitator imitator 'Tarapota' - Similar in apperence to the green D. i. imitator, 'Tarapota' has orange coloration on the back with blue/green legs. Tarapota imitators are relatively rare in the hobby, and should be considered an advanced frog.

Dendrobates imitator intermedius - Aka 'Standard'. Originally confused, and thought to be a hybrid between D. fantasticus and D. imitator, by the hobby when first introduced, it is merely one of the many variations of D. imitator. Many times it is still incorrectly labled as it's own species, which it is not. These animals display orange netting or lines on a black background. Legs may be orange/black or contain blue/green markings. The populations in the hobby have a huge amount of variation in coloration and pattern typical of D. imitator from the Huallaga Canyon.

Dendrobates imitator intermedius 'Banded' - Another recent addition to the US hobby imported from Europe, many of these animals were originally thought to be D. fantasticus until they reproduced, the "Yellow Fantasticus" being actual fantisticus, while much of the "Banded Fantasticus" turned out to be D. i. intermedius 'Banded' (which also explains why the "yellow" name has stuck when the fants are actually orange).

Dendrobates imitator "yurimenguensis" - Like 'Tarapota', these were imported from Europe into the US hobby in the last couple years. Similar in coloration to the 'Tarapota', these animals generally have a more striped pattern, but may be heavily spotted in some animals to be confused with 'Tarapota'. The animals currently in the hobby do not display as rigid a pattern as the wild 'Yurimaguensis' population, and due to the presence of more than one population of orange imitator in the wild, the "Yuris" in the hobby might not actaully be this population. Due to their rarity, yurimaguensis should be considered an advanced frog.

Mislabled "imitator":
    "Dendrobates imitator Panguana": At least two of the lowland panguana lamasi types are still called D. imitator in Europe (yellow and orange). This is a bit confusing since there is another lowland panguana lamasi types labled with their correct species. These are all, in fact, members of the species D. lamasi, and their tadpoles show as much, being dark in coloration and showing the bright strip of yellow on the face early in their development, as typical for that species.

"Dendrobates Uakarii": Another mislabled frog in Europe, but in fact a species in it's own right.
    See http://www.dendrobates.org for more details...
  • General Care:
    Temperature range of 70-80º F during the day; nighttime temp drop of up to 10º F if possible

D. imitator can be housed in pairs or in groups (5+). Housing groups in large enclosures may allow for dynamic behavior observations. However, care should be taken as male-male and female-female aggression can occur.

Vertically oriented enclosures (vertical 10g, 20H) are ideal, but not required. Bromeliads, large-leaved plants, and vines covering the background (such as creeping fig) offer the frogs security as well as sleeping locations.
  • Breeding & tadpole Care:
    Frogs mature quickly (7-8 months), and males may even begin calling as early as 5 months. Call is very audible, and resembles a cricket chirp. Males will call from laying location to attract female.

Multiple areas serve as acceptable laying sites for D. imitator including film canisters (black and white) containing water oriented vertically or at a 45 degree angle, bromeliad leaves and axils, vertically oriented leaves (especially overlapping), and even the walls of the vivarium. Tadpoles can be raised by the parents or pulled from the viv.

Typically 1-3 eggs laid as often as every 5-7 days, but clutch sizes up to 5 eggs have been observed.

Tadpoles may exhibit cannibalism and should be housed individually. (3) Tadpoles can be fed fish flakes or another mostly protein based diet and detritus (decaying leaves and dead FFs), but it is not recommended to raise tadpoles on a mostly algae based diet. Due to the size of froglets, a readily available supply of springtails is important for young froglets, but stunted and wingless melanogaster will be taken soon after morphing.
  • Pictures:
    Standard Imitator male transporting tad:

Standard Imitator tad morphing:

Standard Imitator froglet:

Standard Imitator Sex Comparison (Female - Left; Male - Right)

Standard Intermedius:

Intermedius [striped variation of the standard intermedius]

Standard Intermedius parental care:

D. imitator yurimaguensis:

References:
(1) http://www.poison-frogs.com/
(2) http://research.amnh.org/herpetology/amphibia/index.php
(3) http://www.natures-web.org - Tor Linbo

Contributers:
Corey Wickliffe (kerokero)
Kyle Kopp (kyle1745)
npaull
Bill (elmoisfive)
Oz (rozdaboff)
Sean Harrington(sports_doc)

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let myself or a moderator know.

Last Updated 7/4/2007

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
It was brought up in another thread that we need to change the pic of the Banded Intermedius.

http://www.dendroboard.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=29788

I know we needed to add some pics to this one anyway.

We should add a short description of the striped variants of the standard intermedius, in addition to a discussion about the Tara lines that has come up in the past couple of days.

I am a bit tight on time these days - so if some one else wants to jump in - go for it.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Dendrobates imitator intermedius 'Banded' - Another recent addition to the US hobby imported from Europe, many of these animals were originally thought to be D. fantasticus until they reproduced, the "Yellow Fantasticus" being actual fantisticus, while much of the "Banded Fantasticus" turned out to be D. i. intermedius 'Banded' (which also explains why the "yellow" name has stuck when the fants are actually orange). 'Banded' intermedius are sometimes confused with 'Standard' intermedius that show only orange markings, especially those showing stripes down the back. In contrast, true banded intermedius have bands of orange around their bodies like rings, running horizontally, rather than the stripes from head to vent that shows up in the standard intermedius.

Dendrobates imitator imitator 'Tarapota' - Similar in apperence to the green D. i. imitator, 'Tarapota' has orange coloration on the back with blue/green legs. Tarapota imitators are relatively rare in the hobby, and should be considered an advanced frog. Originally called "Orange Imitator" (which confused it with intermedius which was similarly labeled at the time), these animals have been in the hobby for a number of years and a few years ago picked up the label of "Tarapota" imitator due to their similarity in coloration and pattern, but there is not believed to be any actual data to support this label. The old line tends to... erk, I can't find the post Oz did where he compared the coloration. Insert that description here.

Dendrobates imitator imitator 'INIBICO Tarapota' - True Tarapota imitator with locality data imported through the INIBICO project. Similar in appearance to the green D. i. imitator, these have a golden/yellow (?) coloration to the back rather than green, or the darker orange of the old line 'Tarapota'. Due to differences between these locality known frogs and the old line 'Tarapota', it's casted doubt on the origins of the "other Tarapotas" and they should not be mixed as they may be different populations.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
On breeding and tadpole care, it is wrote that "Frogs mature quickly (7-8 months), and males may even begin calling as early as 5 months"

I don't know what the rest of you are noticing, but the froglets I raise usually start calling (at least a good percentage of them do) at around 3 months.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
It's all about how you raise your tadpoles and froglets... 5-6 months is the general date I usually hear, with 9 months being the older end, and 3 months being the younger end. I've experienced some really young animals reaching sexual maturity in both thumbnails and anthonyi... and it had a lot to do with how I raised the tadpoles, which morphed relatively large froglets, which in turn reached sexual maturity size faster.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Re: Dendrobates Imitator - Intermediate (posted)

Still need to change the banded intermedius pic on this care sheet.

I went in to change it - but when I hit preview - the whole sheet was in code - so I didn't want to change it and have the whole sheet change format.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts

Dendrobates imitator:

• Location & History – Rainforests of northeastern Peru. Discovered by Schulte (1986, 1999). (1,2)

• Descriptions & Behavior: Small outgoing to mildly skittish frog. The common name of this species is the mimic poison frog due to their resemblance to other dendrobatids. Three subspecies are recognized:

Note: These morphs represent unique subpopulations in the wild that share general physical characterisitics, and for that reason different morphs should not be mixed.

Dendrobates imitator imitator - Aka 'Nominal', 'Green', 'Standard', 'Cainarachi Valley'
    . Display black spots on a metallic green, legs can be metallic green to blue in color with black spots. Generally mimics D. variabilis. This population evidently shows at least two different "types" in the wild with color and pattern variations, both of which have been represented in the hobby for years by different bloodlines. Most recently, INIBICO has brought in 'Cainarachi Valley', likely the same population already in the hobby, with both the "green striped" type (green markings with large blotched patterns) and the "yellow" type (more yellow coloration with finer, rounder spotting on the back). The Nominal and Cainarachi Valley populations are phenotypically similar. However due to the locality data associated with the Cainarachi Valley population, the two populations should currently not be mixed.

Dendrobates imitator imitator 'Tarapota' - Similar in apperence to the green D. i. imitator, 'Tarapota' has orange coloration on the back with blue/green legs. Tarapota imitators are relatively rare in the hobby, and should be considered an advanced frog.

Dendrobates imitator intermedius - Aka 'Standard'. Originally confused, and thought to be a hybrid between D. fantasticus and D. imitator, by the hobby when first introduced, it is merely one of the many variations of D. imitator. Many times it is still incorrectly labled as it's own species, which it is not. These animals display orange netting or lines on a black background. Legs may be orange/black or contain blue/green markings. The populations in the hobby have a huge amount of variation in coloration and pattern typical of D. imitator from the Huallaga Canyon.

Dendrobates imitator intermedius 'Banded' - Another recent addition to the US hobby imported from Europe, many of these animals were originally thought to be D. fantasticus until they reproduced, the "Yellow Fantasticus" being actual fantisticus, while much of the "Banded Fantasticus" turned out to be D. i. intermedius 'Banded' (which also explains why the "yellow" name has stuck when the fants are actually orange).

Dendrobates imitator "yurimenguensis" - Like 'Tarapota', these were imported from Europe into the US hobby in the last couple years. Similar in coloration to the 'Tarapota', these animals generally have a more striped pattern, but may be heavily spotted in some animals to be confused with 'Tarapota'. The animals currently in the hobby do not display as rigid a pattern as the wild 'Yurimaguensis' population, and due to the presence of more than one population of orange imitator in the wild, the "Yuris" in the hobby might not actaully be this population. Due to their rarity, yurimaguensis should be considered an advanced frog.

Mislabled "imitator":
    "Dendrobates imitator Panguana": At least two of the lowland panguana lamasi types are still called D. imitator in Europe (yellow and orange). This is a bit confusing since there is another lowland panguana lamasi types labled with their correct species. These are all, in fact, members of the species D. lamasi, and their tadpoles show as much, being dark in coloration and showing the bright strip of yellow on the face early in their development, as typical for that species.

"Dendrobates Uakarii": Another mislabled frog in Europe, but in fact a species in it's own right.
    See Dendrobates.org - Home for more details...

• General Care:
    Temperature range of 70-80º F during the day; nighttime temp drop of up to 10º F if possible

D. imitator can be housed in pairs or in groups (5+). Housing groups in large enclosures may allow for dynamic behavior observations. However, care should be taken as male-male and female-female aggression can occur.

Vertically oriented enclosures (vertical 10g, 20H) are ideal, but not required. Bromeliads, large-leaved plants, and vines covering the background (such as creeping fig) offer the frogs security as well as sleeping locations.

Frogs mature quickly (7-8 months), and males may even begin calling as early as 5 months. Call is very audible, and resembles a cricket chirp. Males will call from laying location to attract female.

Multiple areas serve as acceptable laying sites for D. imitator including film canisters (black and white) containing water oriented vertically or at a 45 degree angle, bromeliad leaves and axils, vertically oriented leaves (especially overlapping), and even the walls of the vivarium. Tadpoles can be raised by the parents or pulled from the viv.

Typically 1-3 eggs laid as often as every 5-7 days, but clutch sizes up to 5 eggs have been observed.

Tadpoles may exhibit cannibalism and should be housed individually. (3) Tadpoles can be fed fish flakes or another mostly protein based diet and detritus (decaying leaves and dead FFs), but it is not recommended to raise tadpoles on a mostly algae based diet. Due to the size of froglets, a readily available supply of springtails is important for young froglets, but stunted and wingless melanogaster will be taken soon after morphing.

• Pictures:

Standard Intermedius:

Intermedius Banded:

References:
(1) www.poison-frogs.com, dart poison frogs, vivaria, plants, together with lots of pictures, films and more. Orchids, bromelia's, mosses, descriptions of dendrobates leucomelas, azureus, pumilio, tinctorius, auratus and how to breed frogs but also fruit
(2) Amphibian Species of the World
(3) Froglet.us D. imitator "Todd's Kelly's F1 line" - Tor Linbo
(4) http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/33999-intermedius-lines-7.html#post305216

Contributers:
Corey Wickliffe (kerokero)
Kyle Kopp (kyle1745)
npaull
Bill (elmoisfive)
Oz (rozdaboff)
Sean Harrington(sports_doc)

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let a moderator know.

·
Registered
571 Posts

i disagree that tarapoto are more difficult to breed however I would say that intermedius are more difficult to breed, my tarapotos breed just like my standards but my intermedius have yet to breed for me

·
Administrator
13,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #54

Ranitomeya imitator:
AKA: Dendrobates imitator
Contributers: Corey Wickliffe (kerokero), Kyle Kopp (kyle1745), npaull, Bill (elmoisfive), Oz (rozdaboff), Sean Harrington(sports_doc)

Dendrobates imitator imitator - Aka 'Nominal', 'Green', 'Standard', 'Cainarachi Valley'
    . Display black spots on a metallic green, legs can be metallic green to blue in color with black spots. Generally mimics D. variabilis. This population evidently shows at least two different "types" in the wild with color and pattern variations, both of which have been represented in the hobby for years by different bloodlines. Most recently, INIBICO has brought in 'Cainarachi Valley', likely the same population already in the hobby, with both the "green striped" type (green markings with large blotched patterns) and the "yellow" type (more yellow coloration with finer, rounder spotting on the back). The Nominal and Cainarachi Valley populations are phenotypically similar. However due to the locality data associated with the Cainarachi Valley population, the two populations should currently not be mixed.

Mislabled "imitator":

See Dendrobates.org - Home for more details...
  • General Care:

• Pictures:

Standard Intermedius:

Intermedius Banded:

References:
(1) www.poison-frogs.com, dart poison frogs, vivaria, plants, together with lots of pictures, films and more. Orchids, bromelia's, mosses, descriptions of dendrobates leucomelas, azureus, pumilio, tinctorius, auratus and how to breed frogs but also fruit
(2) Amphibian Species of the World
(3) Froglet.us D. imitator "Todd's Kelly's F1 line" - Tor Linbo
(4) http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/general-discussion/33999-intermedius-lines-7.html#post305216

If you would like to see any updates or modifications to this care sheet please let a moderator know.

Last Update: 1/9/2010

41 - 54 of 54 Posts