Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot to mention, one of three frog’s heads and overall girth is noticeably larger / wider which I read can be the primary female indicator for Ranitomeya. Any thoughts here would be appreciated, I am a rookie. Not super concerned with breeding or not breeding, but would be cool to know genders...

·
Super Moderator
3,292 Posts
Forgot to mention, one of three frog’s heads and overall girth is noticeably larger / wider which I read can be the primary female indicator for Ranitomeya.
True, but by the time this is obvious (to me, anyway) the males will be calling, and the females laying. ;)

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment...
25 Posts
Absolutely wonderful frogs! What size is the tank? They are so tiny it's hard to tell lol
I'm considering getting a trio or quad of R. amazonica in the future. What has your experience been so far with these guys?

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hello Jik, I have a trio in an 18x18x24. They have been awesome thus far. Somewhat reclusive typical of ranitomeya (not that I am an expert, this is only me second Ranitomeya). But they are slowly but surely becoming more bold and spending more time revealing themselves. For me, their strikingly bold coloration and pattern more then makes up for their somewhat reclusive and skittish nature relative to other genus. Amazonica appear beautiful and they are on my list for next habitat.

·
Registered
Nothing at the moment...
25 Posts
Hello Jik, I have a trio in an 18x18x24. They have been awesome thus far. Somewhat reclusive typical of ranitomeya (not that I am an expert, this is only me second Ranitomeya). But they are slowly but surely becoming more bold and spending more time revealing themselves. For me, their strikingly bold coloration and pattern more then makes up for their somewhat reclusive and skittish nature relative to other genus. Amazonica appear beautiful and they are on my list for next habitat.
Ah, that's actually the same dimensions of my own tank! Personally, thumbnails have always been my favorite appearance-wise, I'm excited to get started with them next summer!

·
Registered
Ranitomeya
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are a few observations since a few folks have commented here and I really haven’t provided any info. Full disclosure I am not offering advice nor an experienced dart frog keeper, again just offering up personal observations. 1. They are nearly exclusively arboreal in my 18x18x24 enclosure and are only on the ground to hunt and forage it seems. 2. They love bromeliads, I have 3 immature bromeliads (with room to grow) and each of the fantastica trio has each one staked out and they hang out in broms maybe over half the time I see them. 3. They are shy and never eat right away at feeding time, rather I put flies in and come back an hour later and will see one or two of them on the ground which I assume means hunting. 4. They have not been aggressive or social with one another and I have witness zero interaction (that said they are still youngsters). 5. I have read that fantastica can be super fast snd freak out and go on a jumping spree when spooked, 1 of the 3 frogs does this sometimes and goes in a total habitat jumping spree sometimes when I open enclosure to mist or feed, but not all the time. When it happens he or she literally goes bonkers and jumps endlessly for like 30 seconds. The other 2 if spooked will simply disappear out of sight.
2F609C25-D0DA-4BB1-8E2A-11C6C69B499B.jpeg
53F3FC5D-A68C-469D-A937-C72D7DD60A24.jpeg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts