Dendroboard banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's frustrating watching them "eat". All they seem to go for are the springtails but they let FFs walk on by. :confused:

How do frogs hunt? By sight? If so, what is their range of vision and how good is their eyesight?

·
Super Moderator
4,067 Posts
It's frustrating watching them "eat". All they seem to go for are the springtails but they let FFs walk on by. :confused:

How do frogs hunt? By sight? If so, what is their range of vision and how good is their eyesight?
No idea scientifically speaking, but my Ranitomeya uakarii have seen flies from about 8-10" away and leapt down from their perch to gather flies

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a puzzle.

I'm told they are almost a year old and lead to believe it might just be transport stress; that they'll eventually go back to eating Mels when they're comfortable.

I'll continue feeding them FFs of course but I do worry about vitamin/mineral ingestion. I suppose I can't force them to eat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry for the necropost - BUT, happy to report that 2 1/2 years on (and, back then, new to frog keeping) I still have seven of seven all in good health! (y)

My viv is very overgrown though which means they can hide easily and sightings are infrequent now. So, I've just set up a smaller viv to keep them in while I revamp the main one. I've learned many lessons over the two years or so, mainly about choice of plants - it's a marathon, not a sprint!

This is the bit I'm least looking forward to: catching them. I'm going to try empty and clean 2 litre soda bottles and just let their curiosity do the work. Using any other capture device would be impossible in this jungle!

The new enclosure will be a much less crowded affair as far as plants and terrain are concerned. :cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Version 2.0 of the enclosure is well under way with purchase of a large piece of feature wood, setting it in with expanding foam (to eliminate the chance of froggos getting trapped and /or lost) and planting.

This time round I'm not going mad with the green stuff as I did for v 1.0 - too many fancy mosses for one thing - and I hadn't factored-in how important leaf litter was leaving minimal space for it (about 15% of the floor area). The new setup devotes at least 60%.

This time round I'll be more sparing with the misting too (auto with a Mistking). On removing the old substrate, I noted that the center was approaching sodden. A viv doesn't need to look humid to actually be humid - another mistake and lesson learned! Frogs probably didn't like it much either.

Old setup (at freshly planted, growing-in stage) with just a narrow area at front for leaf litter: a terrible design with hindsight. Never again! Wood was far too intricate and complex also; producing probably hundreds of hiding spots (and potential traps) making seeing the residents very difficult.

v1.0 2020
Plant Light Terrestrial plant Rectangle Vegetation

New set-up (at pre growing-in stage). Yet to add leaf litter ... will update.
p.s: lights are a lot lower when frogs are in

v2.0 2022
Plant Plant community Wood Rectangle Grass

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Right... I KNOW this is risky but I couldn't resist! I've added some super-tight moss from my garden (rinsed to within an inch of its life) and I'll see how it goes during the grow-in period. I'm willing to bet it'll die-off before it acclimatises (if it ever does) Nothing ventured, nothing gained though, right?

Plant Terrestrial plant Wood Vegetation Grass

Plant Organism Terrestrial plant Trunk Grass

1 - 15 of 15 Posts