Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 313 Posts

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given recent collections contamination with chytrid, and, a community that can be somewhat remiss about doing their due diligence with getting their own frogs tested, let's get a list going for good labs to send samples for ranavirus and chytrid.

Please post links to labs and any other advice you can give.

Here is the San Diego Zoo:
SDZ Global Wildlife Conservancy - News - Amphibian Disease Laboratory

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From that page:

The laboratory is also able to provide assistance in working up outbreaks of infectious diseases in captive collections (especially molecular diagnostic testing) working together with your facility veterinarian and pathologist.

Available Tests:

1. Real-Time (Taqman) PCR for Amphibian Chytrid Fungus - $20
2. Real-Time PCR (Taqman) for Ranavirus - $25

·
Registered
835 Posts
When you take it out of the context of the whole web page it sounds like individual collections but reading the whole page it sounds like zoo collections. not aware of any one on here having a facility veterinarian or pathologist. Seems something a zoo would have.

Only way to know for sure is to ask them and sent an e-mail to find out.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
When you take it out of the context of the whole web page it sounds like individual collections but reading the whole page it sounds like zoo collections. not aware of any one on here having a facility veterinarian or pathologist. Seems something a zoo would have.

Only way to know for sure is to ask them and sent an e-mail to find out.
The way I read it, it does sound like it is limited to zoological collections.

·
Banned
350 Posts
Given recent collections contamination with chytrid, and, a community that can be somewhat remiss about doing their due diligence with getting their own frogs tested, let's get a list going for good labs to send samples for ranavirus and chytrid.

Please post links to labs and any other advice you can give.

Here is the San Diego Zoo:
SDZ Global Wildlife Conservancy - News - Amphibian Disease Laboratory
Research Associates Laboratory ($18.00/test)

Chytrid Treatment:

1cc LAMISIL spray to 220ml decholorinated water bath for 5-7 minutes. Each each day after treatment put frog into seperate quarantine tank and bleach the one that was used the day before. Treat for 14 days...then quarantine for another 15 days then RETEST.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Research Associates Laboratory ($18.00/test)

Chytrid Treatment:

1cc LAMISIL spray to 220ml decholorinated water bath for 5-7 minutes. Each each day after treatment put frog into seperate quarantine tank and bleach the one that was used the day before. Treat for 14 days...then quarantine for another 15 days then RETEST.
Treatment only has to done 8-10 days. Soaks for approximately 5 min. in the solution of 1cc/mL to 200mL of amphibian safe water.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I've used RAL as well. Great lab and usually get results by 3pm the day they get it.

For treatment, itraconazole. .5ml itraconazole in 500ml of spring water. 5 min soaks for 10-12 days. Put frogs in clean container after soak and sterlize the old container. Testing after treatment, then another follow up test a week after.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think it would be great to have testing available at shows such as Microcosm and Frog Day, or kits for sale to do the testing at a later time. Even though Microcosm stresses CB frogs only, it wouldn't hurt to be able to test a new acquisition.

I'm not suggesting people bring in frogs for testing from their collections.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Also, for what it's worth, not all testing is the same, be sure to contact your lab to see how the testing is done. Work with a knowledgeable exotics veterinarian to interpret these tests or compare them to see which one is right for your situation. While PCR swab tests for chytrid can be effective, PCR swab tests for ranavirus antemortem may be of little use. PCR tissue tests for ranavirus are effective but are obviously part of a necropsy work up. Not all PCR tests are created equal either, you want TaqMan PCRs.

Itraconazole diluted with amphibian Ringer's solution to 0.01% for 5 min/day for 10 days is an effective treatment (be cautious of compounded itraconazole drugs, may have lower dose of effective drug, send to lab and test if concerned...) and there's literature supporting low dose itraconazole at 0.005% that is effective and better tolerated.

·
Registered
835 Posts
From that page:

The laboratory is also able to provide assistance in working up outbreaks of infectious diseases in captive collections (especially molecular diagnostic testing) working together with your facility veterinarian and pathologist.

Available Tests:

1. Real-Time (Taqman) PCR for Amphibian Chytrid Fungus - $20
2. Real-Time PCR (Taqman) for Ranavirus - $25
Responce from them:
Hello,

Unfortunately, we are unable to perform testing for private collections at this time. You might consider contacting Pisces Molecular Home Page | Pisces Molecular

Sincerely,

Allan Pessier

Some people need to have better reading comprehension.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Pices is great! Although in my experience with them I had to amputate a foot and freeze it then send it to them.I think the swabbing of the animal is less traumatic. Vetdna.com is where I send all my swabs if interested. $18 for Chytrid and $26 for rana virus.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Pices is great! Although in my experience with them I had to amputate a foot and freeze it then send it to them.I think the swabbing of the animal is less traumatic. Vetdna.com is where I send all my swabs if interested. $18 for Chytrid and $26 for rana virus.
Mike I use them for my testing as well, it's actually 18.00 per test, so testing the same swab for rana and bd is 36.00.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I actually just got some results back on my collection from Research Associate Lab today. Here is an example of what the results will look like. I had my entire collection swabbed for chytrid (for the 3rd time since July) with NEG results :) Figured I'd share:

Blacked out boxes are just my personal info, if anybody is wondering.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What to folks think about also testing for mycobacterium? From what I understand, not only is it contagious but it's also zoonotic. OrangeTyrant, what do you think?

eta: This place does chytrid, ranavirus and mycobacteria as an assay panel http://www.zoologix.com/zoo/Datasheets/AmphibianScreeningPanel.htm

I called Zoologix and got a quote of 113.00 for the following:

Amphibian screening PCR panel

Test code: P0031 - Amphibian screening PCR panel. Ultrasensitive detection and differentiation of the following pathogens using real time PCR protocols:

Chytrid fungus
Ranavirus
Mycobacterium xenopi
Mycobacterium chelonae
Mycobacterium liflandii / ulcerans / marinum

1 - 20 of 313 Posts