Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the way my tank will be set up, there is a water section around the whole front and some of the sides. if my auratus breed and deposit the tad in the water section, would it be able to stay in there until it becomes a froglet? i will have some small community fish in there, would they kill it? also after it has left the water will i need a new tank for it or could it continue to live inside the tank with its parents?

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have absolutely no experience in this area.

If it were me, I can think of so many things that could possibly go wrong.

That said, tadpoles in the wild survive in some pretty crappy conditions before making it to land.

If you are Hades-bent on raising the tad(s), I would pull them. If you are unconcerned or just want see how things go without human intervention, make the gutsy call and let nature take its course.

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
If you want tadpoles to make it to froglets in the vivarium, I would skip putting fish in the water feature.

I have a 1.2 trio of Costa Rican auratus in an 18x18x24 exo terra vivarium with a water feature, and I try to pull all the egg clutches that I can. That being said, I've found several froglets hopping around with the adults - sometimes they are nearly half grown before I can finally catch them.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I do have experience in tank raising frogs. I raised my Leucs in tanks for several years, and now I'm seeing new tadpoles in my blue/bronze auratus tanks. If the tank is large enough, you won't have any problems with the babies as long as they have a way to get out of the water, and then plenty to eat. Try to keep up your springtail population, especially.

If in doubt, you can pull some eggs and leave some eggs and see how it works out for you. If your auratus are anything like mine, they're laying eggs like clockwork and you have dozens of tads already.

Speaking of crappy conditions, yeah, my tank-bred frogs live in a swamp. I'm surprised that it doesn't smell, tho - The tads survive mainly on algae, dead fruitflies, java moss, and any other rotting stuff in the water. Now, if you happen to have cichlids in your water feature, you're going to end up with some fat n happy fish..... ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
I actually placed a luec tad in a school display so they could see the metamorphosis and we were going to take it out when it was about to walk out be instead we left it in and now it's the same size as the other frogs and in great condition. I expect your only problems would be tad canibalism

·
Registered
543 Posts
If in doubt, you can pull some eggs and leave some eggs and see how it works out for you. If your auratus are anything like mine, they're laying eggs like clockwork and you have dozens of tads already.

Speaking of crappy conditions, yeah, my tank-bred frogs live in a swamp. I'm surprised that it doesn't smell, tho - The tads survive mainly on algae, dead fruitflies, java moss, and any other rotting stuff in the water. Now, if you happen to have cichlids in your water feature, you're going to end up with some fat n happy fish..... ;)

Yeah, I have 8(found another new one today, found another one yest) tads today and 4 froglets from this season so far. My tank is coated with algae and its thick with Pothos, but the Campana auratus love it. I place small containers of water in the tank and allow the parents to transport. The one time I pulled eggs the tad died as it emerged from the egg, so from there on, I let them do it. But as far as I Am concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So far, they're laying smallish clutches, but thats fine by me, I don't know what I will do with all the offspring.

Zac

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I have 8(found another new one today, found another one yest) tads today and 4 froglets from this season so far. My tank is coated with algae and its thick with Pothos, but the Campana auratus love it. I place small containers of water in the tank and allow the parents to transport. The one time I pulled eggs the tad died as it emerged from the egg, so from there on, I let them do it. But as far as I Am concerned, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. So far, they're laying smallish clutches, but thats fine by me, I don't know what I will do with all the offspring.

Zac
yea thats a problem i think i will have. i dont have the time or $ to raise tads and have extra tanks and stuff so i will end up just letting them fend for them selfs. do you think if i just let them live in the tank still they will just keep breeding and overpopulate with frogs? will i end up having to try and get rid of some on here or will they just stop having babies if there isnt enough room?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well, honestly, so far, with my tads, it hasn't been that much more time and money to raise them, other than the 2 odd months it takes from first hatching to froglet. All in all, its rewarding to pull them and watch them grow. I think in total, I've spent about 15 bucks with getting reusable tupperware containers with lids, and then the tadpole bites and some fish flakes. I add in tadpole tea from letting leaves steep in water and I got java moss from a coworker whose fishtank was overgrown with it. I feel the tads 4 to 5 times a week, depending on when I remember, but they always have a leaf in there to munch on, and other sources of food, so I'm not overly concerned.

The positive to pulling them is then once they're large enough, you can sell or trade them amongst other hobbyists. My hundred dollar investment for the pair is virtually covered itself so far with froglets, plus the 8 other tads, and then I noticed tonight another clutch of 3 eggs, about a day old. A problem is, froglets IS very cute. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts