Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am new to frog keeping but I manged to get a pair of Mozambique rain frog over the weekend. The guy I bought them from assumed they were around two years old and because of the size difference I am assuming male and female. The 10 gallon set up they were given to me in doesn't currently have a false bottom though. I wish to completely redo their tank to make a vivarium with a bunch of live plants and everything. I have looked into false bottom but was unsure if this would be ideal for such a species.

Here is my question, however, if I did go with the false bottom would mesh in-between the bottom gravel layer be better or the egg crate with pipes?

I was going off of this from Josh's frogs.

My concern was if I went with the mesh would the frogs burrow below the mesh? I am unsure how far they dig down but it is enough I can't see them. I thought if I went the other false bottom like this they might think it is the bottom since it is hard unlike just putting mesh down.

What are your thoughts on this? Thanks for any advice c:
I attached a picture of the set up they were in when purchased.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but I think if substrate was moist you maybe able to keep them from digging to far. In the wild they dig till they find moist soil to avoid drying out until next rain. Either method you use you have to remember to have a way to remove water from the bottom so it doesn't saturate the substrate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I did do some more digging into false bottom and the more I read the more I am thinking just going with the mesh. I mean I already have mesh I could use in it so I wouldn't have to buy those extra supplies with the egg crate.

I mean I guess if I keep the soil moist it would make sense they wouldn't burrow too far. Especially since what I believe is the female comes out at night a lot. I don't know yet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts