Dendroboard banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yknow, I have an ugly patch of silicone I've been trying to hide. This just might be the solution. Sorry for hijacking your thread!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use akadama too. Grateful to air roots and used in bonsai hobby. I’m experimenting mixing with sphagnum and charcoal for soil and some pots in the vivarium. Working well by now

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Collecting 3 juvenile Oophaga pumilio 'almirante' tomorrow and, separately, a large order placed for orchids and climbers :

Climbers :

- Begonia listada
- Cissus discolor
- Marcgravia spec. Costa Rica NEU
- Marcgravia spec. Kolumbien

Minature orchids :

- Diplocaulobium stelliferum
- Masdevallia minuta
- Masdevallia wendlandiana
- Pleurothallis janettiae
- Pleurothallis tribuloides
- Pleurothallis spec. aus Mittelamerika
- Pleurothallis spec. Mittelamerika
- Pleurothallis costaricensis
- Pleurothallis (Specklinia) corniculata
- Stelis spec. Kolumbien

It's been an expensive day :)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
With all of those plants on the way I hope that the next update will have pictures :)
If the tanks don't look too much of a mess i'll get a photo up once the plants arrive.

Almirante juveniles collected and settling in, whilst unboxing them, noticed the 'red frog beach' froglet about ready to leave his bromeliad :)

In the future i'd like to branch out to other Oophaga species - Histronica, Lehmanni, Slyvatica - but finding these in the UK and Europe is impossible for me to buy (seems to be who you know, not what you know when it comes to the scarcer species :( )

·
Registered
387 Posts
What do you mean by collecting? I initially read it as you went out to a place they were naturally occurring.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Rio Branco enclosure freshly planted - June :

September :

Some areas struggling with damp / algae / too moisture retentive, but overall i'd say the growth is 'satisfactory'.

50/50 happy with it thus far.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Love the brom selection! It's a stunning display so far that will definitely grow better with age as everything has a chance to spread out and pup out.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
How is the akadama holding in the tanks?

I've recently purchased some bags myself, but I just got the 'urgent' advice not to use it for substrate. I was told it would completely disolve after 1-2 years in the conditions we create in our enclosures.

I'm finding mixed information at the moment, so I wanted to ask for your experience.

·
Registered
109 Posts
How is the akadama holding in the tanks?

I've recently purchased some bags myself, but I just got the 'urgent' advice not to use it for substrate. I was told it would completely disolve after 1-2 years in the conditions we create in our enclosures.

I'm finding mixed information at the moment, so I wanted to ask for your experience.
The most important positive features at a glance:

• Made from 100% natural, organic material
  • Contains organic nutrients
  • Decreases the hardness
  • Lowers the pH value
  • Promotes water circulation in the soil
  • Stimulates the development of plant roots
  • Granules keep their shape, even after a long period
  • Does not clog
  • Housing for bacteria and micro-organisms
  • Saving of food reserves

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use it with my bonsais and it’s a fantastic substrate. I’m testing its use in my viv, but I’m sure it will work fine mixed with charcoal, coco fiber, and esfagnum. I guess is a good mix for plants and to set a good natural environment.

By now (6 months checking) everything fine. It will degrade (akadama) in a few years, but even though, it won’t be a problem. In bonsai, sometimes you can preserve the same soil for a lot of years without troubles for the tree.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
By now (6 months checking) everything fine. It will degrade (akadama) in a few years
I have been using ADA Aqua Soil Amazonia for 3 years now, and this still has the original round shape. You have to squeeze hard to break it.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
It worked just fine right until the last day.

These enclosures are now closed down and i've left the hobby.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts