Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been lots of post regarding where and what kind of racks to buy, but I was hoping to receive feedback on my specific needs (which others may benefit as well).

I am standardizing all my tanks to 18gal high with the thought that most my collection will consist of primarily the thumbnail variety, Question: What rack would you recommend where I can display six 18gal tanks side-by-side (front views). I envision two shelves with 3 tanks each, or, 3 shelves with two tanks each.

The width for one tank is 20” so two tanks would be 40” (I know, I’m a math genius). The problem I have is the rack I like is only 36” wide. What do you recommend? Does anyone else have a similar set-up?

Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated!!

· Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Benjamin, I really appreciate the response. :D

You know it's kinda funny, I never understood the concept of vert tanks. Lets say you wanted to turn a 10gal aquarium into a vert (this is a common vert size)...that would be only ~2" taller than an 18-high but several inches narrower. Then you have to make or order a custome door for the opening. Often this door can be expensive and provide less clarity than factory glass. Once you figure out all that, you cannot use standard aquarium lights becuase you now have a tank on it's side. This forces you to use "shop" lights -->Don't let this fact weaken my argument becuase I know shop lights can be less expensive and provide more light, I guess it's just an aesthetics thing.

Why don't people just use standard "high" tanks? Oh yeah, see my original question regarding space issues...circular argument I got myself into...

· Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, nice rack Bgreen (I mean for your frogs!!)

Looking at this arrangement definitely makes me reconsider what I want to do.

Q1: What size tanks are those, 10gal?

Q2: Where did you buy that rack?

Q3: Where did you purchase the fitted doors?

Q4: If there is standing water in the bottom, do they leak?

Q5: Do you have a schematic of your draining system's design?

If you choose not to give away all your secrets, I understand. But again, nice setup and I don't think the draining system in the front looks bad at all (if you use black pvc, it would blend in with it's surroundings).

· Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bgreen!! I follow a lot of your comments throughout dendroboard and I truly appreciate your response. Thanks for the "insider knowledge" regarding this subjust matter!! I have a lot to think about....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.