Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been lots of post regarding where and what kind of racks to buy, but I was hoping to receive feedback on my specific needs (which others may benefit as well).

I am standardizing all my tanks to 18gal high with the thought that most my collection will consist of primarily the thumbnail variety, Question: What rack would you recommend where I can display six 18gal tanks side-by-side (front views). I envision two shelves with 3 tanks each, or, 3 shelves with two tanks each.

The width for one tank is 20” so two tanks would be 40” (I know, I’m a math genius). The problem I have is the rack I like is only 36” wide. What do you recommend? Does anyone else have a similar set-up?

Any suggestions / comments would be appreciated!!

G

·
If you mainly going to keep thumbnails make them vert tanks.
Then you can squeeze more tanks in :) Or go with a wider shelf unit.
You can get the wire rack in 48" lenghts, that would leave you with about 2.5" on each side of the tank.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Benjamin, I really appreciate the response. :D

You know it's kinda funny, I never understood the concept of vert tanks. Lets say you wanted to turn a 10gal aquarium into a vert (this is a common vert size)...that would be only ~2" taller than an 18-high but several inches narrower. Then you have to make or order a custome door for the opening. Often this door can be expensive and provide less clarity than factory glass. Once you figure out all that, you cannot use standard aquarium lights becuase you now have a tank on it's side. This forces you to use "shop" lights -->Don't let this fact weaken my argument becuase I know shop lights can be less expensive and provide more light, I guess it's just an aesthetics thing.

Why don't people just use standard "high" tanks? Oh yeah, see my original question regarding space issues...circular argument I got myself into...

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
kleinhanz said:
Why don't people just use standard "high" tanks? Oh yeah, see my original question regarding space issues...circular argument I got myself into...
Well I've never tried verts for my more terrestrial frogs...but with my imitators and day geckos, front opening is way more convenient. In the custom 15 hex that I made, with a top opening, I'm afraid to take the top off to clean the glass without someone to play "lookout"...while cleaning one side, the imitators could easily jump out the opposite side. With the front opening, the frogs would basicly have to jump at you while you had the door open...not very likely, and if they did, if would be hard not to notice.
It also makes the main viewing glass (door) super easy to clean.
If I had the time and resources, I'd have all my vivs front opening.

G

·
I use the vert because of the front opening, makes it a lot nicer during feeding time. As for the lights, you can make a custom hood to cover them.

I like the drains and everything in the front, so I can move them and change a tank out if I need to. It just isn't the cleanest look. I am in the process now of designing a custom tank for me. They are going to be 32" long x 24"tall x and can't deside if I want it 16" or 20"wide, but leaning to the 20"wide. Figure I will just make a custom rack while I am at it. All these tanks are going to be sliding fronts (still working on the door design)

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ben, I really like the setup. Looks good.

Why don't people just use standard "high" tanks?
I got tired of bringing out the step stool to climb up and open the tops of my 15 gallon highs that were on the top shelf so I turned them around and added doors to make it easier to access them. Tanks that open with a door on the front are a little more work to put together but are deffinetly worth looking into if the tops of them are going to be higher than eye level.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, nice rack Bgreen (I mean for your frogs!!)

Looking at this arrangement definitely makes me reconsider what I want to do.

Q1: What size tanks are those, 10gal?

Q2: Where did you buy that rack?

Q3: Where did you purchase the fitted doors?

Q4: If there is standing water in the bottom, do they leak?

Q5: Do you have a schematic of your draining system's design?

If you choose not to give away all your secrets, I understand. But again, nice setup and I don't think the draining system in the front looks bad at all (if you use black pvc, it would blend in with it's surroundings).

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If you have a high pressure pump connected to several misting nozzles, what happens if some nozzles are a lot closer than the rest, ie there is more tubing between the pump and nozzle?

·
Vendor
2,859 Posts
I hate not having two hands when working in a front opening tank. I have to hold the lid wih one hand while I work with the other. Especially annoying when the petri dish gets stuck in the coco hut and then I realize there is a frog still in there and I have moved the dish enough where it seals the opening...

G

·
Damn... I wrote a huge reply and didn't post it.... :(
Try two I guess....

The tanks pictured are 10 gallons, if I was going to start over I would use 15 gallon tanks. The are the same size as a 10, but taller in normal position. This extra depth would be nice with some of the thumbnails we have. The wire rack can be bought at Target, Home Depot, ACE Hardware, Organized Living and other places like that. The door I make. I have a How To Guide on my site http://thechocohut.homestead.com/DIY_20gal_Vert.html
I have close to 1.5" of water in the bottom of each tank, they don't leak if you silicone the bottom.
As for the door, I silicone the glass into the hinge. That way I have two hands to use. I don't silicone the bottom piece to the hinge in case I break a door... I do have extra doors ready.

The misting pressure doesn't seem to effect the nozzles. We run a main supply line up the side of the rack. We added a one way valve at each shelf (3 shelfs). This help keeps the water in the lines. Each shelf has 9 nozzles in line. That is rack 1.... rack 2 is still being worked on, but build like the first one.

Ok, I think I hit everything that time too ;)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bgreen!! I follow a lot of your comments throughout dendroboard and I truly appreciate your response. Thanks for the "insider knowledge" regarding this subjust matter!! I have a lot to think about....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts