Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Im toying with the idea to make a sump/water filtration system for future rack use, and im curious to see if anyone else on the boards has either done this or has thought about doing this?

I will try my best to explain the concept.

Suppose i have a rack holding 16 10g verts. Periodically draining each would become somewhat time consuming, im guessing. What if one were to plumb a network of drainage PVC to a communal water filter that inturn, once filtered, would be reused through say a mist king set up.

I can already see some issues with the possibility of pathogens from one spicies to the next. I suppose the bigger question at hand would be, how would one go about neutralizing said pathogens, or even can it be done on a diy budget?

I have seen several large display tanks utilize a sump on these forums and one of them in particular sticks out in my mind. It was a 10g (i think) baffeled with either glass or plexi and it was apparently a reminant of a reef set up... I digress. The overall goal i would be looking to accomplish would to cut back on waste water that comes from the bottom of the tanks. Sure purified/distilled water isnt too costly, but anywhere i can save some $ (while maintaining happy,healthy frogs) to put back towards more frogs,ff,tanks,racks, ect, is the best outcome.

Any pointers/suggestions are appreciated. This is not something that will be done or started until early next year. Just one of those hairbrain ideas...

Thanks in advance
Tec

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
243 Posts
Perhaps a UV sterilizer for the pathogens would help. I'd oversize the unit an keep up on bulb changes to be sure it did the job.
Also by running the water over and over tr effects of using distilled would be taken away by what the water comes in contact with. I believe most use distilled mostly for the fact tht it dries clean due to less minerals or impurities.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
bad idea. pathogens are too big of an issue for this to work and you'd be unable to reuse the water through a mister since particulate would damage the pumps and misting heads. and if you suspected that you could filter it first and be ok (even RO) youd be doing as much work keeping the filters free of contaminants as you would just draining the tanks, except at much greater expense.

james

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alrighty, thats pretty much what i figured to be the case. Just one of those "wonder what if?" thoughts. Thanks to both of you for your time and input.. This idea is scuttled :)

Thanks
Tec

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts