Dendroboard banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering what size tanks you have on your racks. I am trying to get some ideas on putting together a frog room. I would like to build a shelf system on the one side of the room aprox 8-9 ft long. Just wanted to get some ideas on the design of my shelve system. Most using exo? reg tank? verts? or a combo of all. thanks for the help!

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
I utilize the 4 foot chrome baker's racks from Sam's Club. The bottom shelf consists of an 18x18x18 and 24x18x18 exo terra, with the middle and top shelves holding a 18x18x24 and 24x18x24 exo terra. I also use a 3 foot HOT5 light with reflector above each pair of tanks.

·
Administrator
8,756 Posts
Zach,

I really like the fact that you've been able to find standard configurations (in both shelving *and* tanks) that give you exactly what you want.

That is a rarity.

s

·
Registered
827 Posts
I recently did a rack upgrade as while my fiance was pregnant, she said as a compromise I could do whatever I wanted to with my frogs as long as I kept everything on a home depot 4x6ft bakers rack. It really keeps things in check for me, makes it easy to do daily maintenance, and looks professional.

The tanks I originally planned didn't fit like I thought they would. I didn't take the end poles into consideration like Scott did with his.

Top of rack holds a few 2.5 gallon froglet tanks, froglet 190oz clear deli containers (which I LOVE!) and also use them for tadpoles and other things.

Top shelf holds 4 ten gallon tanks I haven't upgraded yet. Mostly grow out tanks and one of them is a vert conversion for imitator pair. Middle row has a 15 gallon tank to the left and a 16" azdr acrylic cube to the right.

Bottom row is my real upgrades as far as tanks go. 3 twenty gallon high tanks made into vert conversions. Not a ton of floor space but they're tall so I've been able to max out floor with leveling and it gives the tanks a very open and better look. Still need to finish the last one, but these fit with ease. I thought I would be able to fit four of them but I wasn't able to unfortunately.

I keep my supplies in the kitchen closet in rubbermaid drawers and fruit flies in another closet. I also keep a few rounds of fruit flies in different parts of house just in case one side gets mites...even then sometimes both do lol

Plan your rack carefully and it will be fine..but make sure your measurements are correct!!! I have extra tanks in storage to prove it. Need to start selling some of them off soon.

D

·
Registered
370 Posts
DJ you have pics? I found a great sale one some backers racks at target. I have feeling they are the size as above mentioned. Looks like it will fit 4 20Hverts but we will see. So far no sagging problems and I have one very heavy tank 18" cube with water and leca.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Pics would be great. With dimensions of the tanks would be awesome.

·
Administrator
8,756 Posts
Generally speaking, you can subtract 3" from the width to get total shelf space use.

This is why Zach's example is so perfect. He has 48" racks with 45" usable space. He keeps 24" + 18" tanks on them. This is 42" of tanks.

That's really a good use of shelf space when you consider that NOTHING is custom made. The only way you'll get better use of shelf space is with custom made.

s
DJ you have pics? I found a great sale one some backers racks at target. I have feeling they are the size as above mentioned. Looks like it will fit 4 20Hverts but we will see. So far no sagging problems and I have one very heavy tank 18" cube with water and leca.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts