Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys using to light your racks? I'm sure I'll get a huge range of answers from cheap shoplights to crazy CF setups, but I'm just looking for a couple ideas. I am getting ready to move and set a rack up in my new house. I was just hoping to get some lighting suggestions from those of you who have racks. Thanks. Pics would be great if you got them.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
I'm in the process of setting up my racks, and I plan on (eventually) using T-5 H.O. flourescents. They offer the greatest efficency of any light source out there, so I figure it would be cheaper to run, will keep the heat down,(the racks will be in a walk-in closet) and the bulbs are cheaper than compact flourescents.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I keep forgetting how darts don't need much space on a rack. I'm very jealous. My frogs need huge enclosures, haha.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Rack

Hey Kyle, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get that rack? i like it alot, and it looks really spacious. Also, What size shop light do you have on there?

Thanks

·
Registered
403 Posts
I use pretty much the same lighting as Kyle although I use two twin-tube shop light fixtures instead of one, it brightens things up a bit. If I were making another display tank I would probably use power compacts but for a simple shelving unit to hold breeder tanks I find that 4 standard T12 flourescant bulbs do the job just fine. The new T5 flourescants are still pretty expensive. Where are you going to order yours from Dancing Frogs?

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Here is a link;
http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/Fluorescent.htm
they have what appears to be what I wan't as far as spectrum, color rendering, and output. It looks like a 47" tube will be $18.00 plus shipping.
These light units can run expensive if you buy the kits put together by reef aquarium suppliers. I have a bunch of odd electronic ballasts that I could drive them with, so probably the most expensive piece(s) will be the fancy reflector.
My computer recently went down, and I lost all of the links on my favorites, so I can't give you a figure on the reflector right off hand.
I am still trying to decide whether to use one bulb or two to light a rack of vertical tens, I guess I'll find out when I get the bulb(s) and see how much light and growth I get with one bulb.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts