Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally had time to set up my rack system. I have four 10 gallon verts. These are Ben Green's design, great, great parts! The six tanks at the bottom are 15" Understory cubes. Thanks Yeager and Beetle for picking those up. There is a base layer of Hydrokorals, followed by ABG mix. The backgrounds on all the tanks are CoCo panels. All the tanks are on the Rainmaker I misting system and have 1/2" drains in the back.

I will up date the pics after I plant the broms and creeping figs. I am ordering the plants today, frogs will go in ASAP.

-Richard

Close up of the 10g vert:

Here are the cubes:

·
Registered
886 Posts
Rich,
did you drill the 10's yourself? I seem to remember a discussion about ordering a drill bit? If so, what size bit do you have... and would you mind sharing for a fee. Not sure from your description if the bukheads are 1/2", or the holes are 1/2"

Josh

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am going to add vents, imitators, pumilio, azureus, truncs, bicolor, vittatus, leucs. I am waiting on some new thumbs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,
They are 1/2" bulkheads and the holes are 1.25". I ended up biting the bullet and buying the bit. It wasn't too bad. You are welcome to use it, drilling the glass was simple. PM me and we can work it out.

-Richard

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I like what Phil has coming up in the spring. I had a chance to get his lamasi and decided to wait until I could get a larger order seeing how shipping was $60+ and I had to drive to BWI.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
What kind of bit and how much did it cost...I have 4 x 10 gallon tanks that I need drilled...did you drill a drain for them? If so, where did you place the drain hole? On the back towards the bottom?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dave,

I got the bits from http://www.ameriglas.com/ I have a 10mm bit for drilling holes for the misting heads and a 1.25" bit for the drains. I centered the drains on the back of the verts about 1" from the bottom. I think the bits are called "diamond core bits"?? I can't remember. I don't have any of the paper work with me. The bit was a little over $30 plus shipping. This is way cheaper than getting the tanks drilled at the Aquarium Center. That place charges $25 a hole.

-Rich

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Are you drilling on a drill press?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used an old 3/4 inch drill with a guide similar to the one shown on Ben's site. Thanks again Ben! Drilling was very easy and you shouldn't have a problem with it. Use veggie oil as lube.

Kyle,
I still want to see some of Paul's tanks, they do look very nice.

Update*
I planted some plants and creeping fig. I also ordered 24 broms from Ken so I should be ready to go in no time. Also, I added a heater to the misting system, I had it hooked up to a few of my older tanks and the frogs hated the cold water.

-Richard

G

·
Ok, im still trying to get some pics in the gallery, but its confusing. I hope to have my tank posted within a few weeks....if you were talking about someone els i hope to see your tanks too. Merry Christmas / Honica / other.
Paul

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have found glass cutting bits on e-bay fairly cheep. I recently bought a set of 5 for 14.99. The sizes were from 3/16 to 1/2 inch, the total was less than $20 shipped and they work just fine. As far as drilling it was no big deal, I broke the first 1/8 inch practice piece and then drilled 10 more holes with no problem. When you initially start to drill speed up the bit and add just a bit of pressure then after the hole is started slow down and dont apply any pressure just let the drill do the work. I used water as a lubricant for quick clean up. I would not recommend trying this freehand unless you have a very staedy hand. Best of luck Dan

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Good tip on the heater for the water!
tuthelimit said:
Also, I added a heater to the misting system, I had it hooked up to a few of my older tanks and the frogs hated the cold water.

-Richard

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Richard,

How are the doors on those acrylic tanks from Understory Enterprises holding up to warping? Where are the drain holes on the acrylic tanks? Also, How close are your lights to the tanks and how much does that impact your inside the tank temperature?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dave,

I've been gone for a week so I haven't really monitored the warping. The best part about Mark's tanks is the inner frame around the door, so even if the door warps a little it can be pushed snug back in place. I am very happy with them. I get to move these tanks back to school tomorrow so I will post how the hold up to moving.

The drain holes are in the back. I will get a shot of them later. I have them about 1" or so off the bottom. This may be a little too high (a lot of LECA to cover it up). I don't know if the drains are really needed but I liked the idea.

The lights are about a inch off the top of the tanks. They stay very cool. I was hoping it would impact the tanks more but I guess I will be thankful in the summer if they stay cool. The tanks on the bottom have been staying cooler, much cooler than I thought. The tanks at the top have been a little on the warm side. I may have to switch some species around if this becomes a problem.

-Richard

1 - 20 of 25 Posts