Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all,
I have a pair of R. ventrimaculatas "grey legg" and they are at least 13 months old, but I have yet to here any calling, they are in a heavily planted 10 gallon viv with a glass top, would I be able to hear the male calling? I don't know if vents are loud enough to be heard or not. also at what age should they be sexually mature?
any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Check this out...Very slim chance of you hearing them unless you have your head in the tank.

Definitely old enough to sex by now though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have three vents, and their call is very faint. When I first heard it, I thought there was something wrong with the lights in the tank. It sounds like a faint buzz or hinge creaking type noise. You can hear it from outside the tank though.

·
Registered
527 Posts
i can hear mine thru the solid glass, but only if its pretty much silent in the room. got any pics of your frogs? maybe you don't have a pair? ... also, mine were quiet until i got a 2nd pair, then the competition got both males calling a lot. maybe play some call recordings and see if it kicks him into gear?

-brett

·
Registered
31 Posts
Defiantly try the recordings that's what got ky vents calling. For recordings you could try amphibweb.org or dendrobates.org they should both have recordings.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You can hear them for sure, but your room needs to be fairly quiet.

Sounds like a creaky cabinet door.

I just noticed mine calling out of the blue one day...it just happens, unless of course you have a trio of ladies.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank guys, I'll try recordings, and I'll try to gets some pics posted, I got the pair from Patrick @ saurian, but who knows they good be 2 females, when I recieved them one was much more plumper then the other thats how he was basing a pair, and they were already 1 year old. now they look almost the same plumpness, but then again I feed everyday.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
FWIW, when the males call, they don't puff out their throat sacs like leucs or imitators. They sort of sit and vibrate.

Reactions: Dendrodaved

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are my R. ventrimaculatas, the female is suppose to be on the back wall and the male is on the leaf. any imput would be appreciated. :)

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't know what any of them are talking about. My Borja Ridge Vent and my Variabillis call ALL day LONG. It is crazy how loud they are ^^

Just my thought.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts