Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased 2, 3 month old variabilis southern. They came in looking healthy, but I thought they looked a little funny for being southerns. Their color wasn't as pronounced as it is with the southerns, they seemed a bit smaller than my other southerns (I already have 2 others in a viv, which I added these guys to), and their spots looked irregular. I'd just like some thoughts, I've already contacted the person who sold them to me, and he confirmed they were southerns. Right now I'm 99% they are southerns, but I figured I would post about this anyway.

All but 1 pictures are of the newly purchased southerns, I did a comparison in the first attachment of my new southern (top), to my old southern (bottom).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
i mean, you can't tell from pics if they are highland or southerns... if he can give you "proof" if he got them from UE or something, that could confirm it

·
Registered
820 Posts
My southerns look a little different than others I've seen as well. My old pair produced mostly individuals with larger black spots than others I've seen. The typical spaced out spots only showed on a handful of offspring from them.

I'm glad you're concerned since ocassionally frogs get mislabeled. But there is also a high degree of variation with these. Some are more yellow, some more green, some darker blue, some blue/grey.
frogs.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My southerns look a little different than others I've seen as well. My old pair produced mostly individuals with larger black spots than others I've seen. The typical spaced out spots only showed on a handful of offspring from them.

I'm glad you're concerned since ocassionally frogs get mislabeled. But there is also a high degree of variation with these. Some are more yellow, some more green, some darker blue, some blue/grey.
frogs.

Thanks for the feedback Tim, I've asked multiple people what they thought, and all but 1 have responded that they look like southerns. I hope they still have some room for growth, as down the line I'd like to see if they would be successful breeders, and I feel as if the bigger they are the better they could deal with breeding. I've got 4 southerns in the viv now, and one of them is already calling. All I can do is wait and observe.

Noah

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yea no worries. Southerns I've been breeding for almost 2 years (1pair) and they all come out different. I even have a froglet with back stripes as well as spots.

They do change as they get older. Colors and spots become more defined. I supplement with SuperPig. Not sure if it really helps but my frogs come out neon green/yellow.

Once had someone tell me mine looked more like highlands due to the lighter colored legs and bigger black spots.

·
Registered
820 Posts
And once they are old enough (~1year old), breeding shouldn't be hard. Mine i had to slow down they produced so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts