Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! So I've been really interested in some of the Ranitomeya, and from my research it sounds like Ranitomeya Variabilis 'Southern' is the best species to start out with since they're not as quick to try and escape, they're bolder, and caj live in groups. This is my 3rd species overall, I did keep a Trio of D. Auratus "Costa Rican Green & Black" and a pair of D. Tinctorious "Cobalt" for about 3 years which did well until I had to give them away.

From what I've read Ranitomeya like more vertical space, a standard 29 is 30.6 L x 19 H X 13.2 W. If I were to place it normally, would 3 - 4 R. Variabilis be a good fit? I'd design it around them, a lot of bromeliads and cover.
If not, would a 18 X 18 X 24 Exo Terra be a better option, or I can always flip the 29 on its side so I have 30.6in of Height although I heard they do use some ground space compared to other Ranitomeya.

Thank you! I'd love to hear all your opinions, especially from those who are keeping this awesome species.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know people will chime in and say ventilation will be easier to manage on the exo Terra 18*18*24, and It is. I also personally enjoy the extra height in the exoterra. If you go vertical with your 29 gallon, you'll still have to manage ventilation and you'll have sacrificed floor space which is good for them to forage in and hide... Though I don't have variabilis, I have 3 other species (uakari, fantastica, sirensis) and they utilize every inch of my 18*18*24 enclosures.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know people will chime in and say ventilation will be easier to manage on the exo Terra 18*18*24, and It is. I also personally enjoy the extra height in the exoterra. If you go vertical with your 29 gallon, you'll still have to manage ventilation and you'll have sacrificed floor space which is good for them to forage in and hide... Though I don't have variabilis, I have 3 other species (uakari, fantastica, sirensis) and they utilize every inch of my 18*18*24 enclosures.
Gotcha, thank you! Main reason I wanted to do the 29 was so I could have it peninsula next to my desk, although I could try another kind of species in their.
I'll have to see if I can pick up one of the Exo Terra Frogs and Co 18 X 24. I was really interested in their design so looks like it'll work out.

How many do you reckon I could keep in a 18 X 18 X 24 accounting for the foliage and ground cover?

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are some reptizoo tanks that are 24*18*24... Expensive as heck, but they exist. I'm not sure what In-Situ offers...perhaps they have one too. I keep 2 tanks on my desk, so I understand the urge. As for numbers, I'll let someone with R. Variabilis specific experience chime in. I like pairs but always buy 4 in hopes of getting that pair and then give the other two away to a friend.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I keep a 2:2 group in a 72 gallon bow front and would have to remove the non dominant male if in a smaller set up. They are active and out and utilize the leaf litter a lot. I view them as methodical/deliberate in their overall in their movements when compared to the flighty nature of the R. sirensis I have.

18*18*24 enclosures is as small as I would want to go with a pair or trio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts