Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thinking about getting some R. Variabilis for a 12x12x18 but I have a few questions.

My main question has to do with choosing to purchase Southern, or highland variabilis. How do they differ in terms of boldness, size, vivarium needs, and so on?

Second, How many could I keep on a 12x12x18?

Thank you for any responses!!

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have northerns and I see them everyday! Mine are very bright although maybe not quite as bright as southerns. The have been breading like crazy in my 18x18x24 ( I have 2 now but plan to have 4 or 5 ). I think if your tank is designed with lots of hides and planted well you could fit 3.

You will love either variety they are beautiful!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
i have a 1.2 trio of southerns. i see them out all the time. they're really bold in my opinion. they have great personalities and awesome colors.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard that the southerns are much bolder, how much of a difference really is there?

And are southerns always more expensive?

Reactions: S2G

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
And are southerns always more expensive?
For now, yes, pretty much. Their price will gradually come down, but it could take a few years before Southerns are as cheap as Highlands.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I haven't worked with Southern, only with Highland. My understanding always was that Southern's were slightly on the shy side while Highlands were very bold. I have a large breeding group of Highlands that are very bold.

I had originally setup a group of nine in a large 200 gallon display viv. I could always walk over and see or show guest at least five of the nine, often we could find all nine.

Brad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! I think I'm going to pick up 4 of these guys in Hamburg this weekend. They are going to be my first thumbnails, anyone have any tips I should know?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Gonna have to disagree that Southerns are shy. They are VERY bold! I never have to look more than 30 seconds to see all 5 of my breeders. One of the males has jumped out onto my hand and called. Southerns are also generally larger than the highland morph, and in my opinion, much more striking frogs. Dont get me wrong, highlands are great looking frogs too, I just personally prefer the southerns. I agree that 3-4 frogs in your size viv would be a reasonable number. If you cant find what you're looking for at the Hamburg show, I have some Southerns available, you can PM me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well i have 18x18x24 tank empty and I've been thinking about 3 varialibis(southern) for that.
Is it possible to add few(2 maybe) later? How about territories?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Well i have 18x18x24 tank empty and I've been thinking about 3 varialibis(southern) for that.
Is it possible to add few(2 maybe) later? How about territories?
They're not overly territorial, males will "fight" a little, I've seen mine get into short scraps before, but nothing serious, and come mating time, all five cram themselves into a film can. Territories be damned with these guys, they love their orgies.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gonna have to disagree that Southerns are shy. They are VERY bold! I never have to look more than 30 seconds to see all 5 of my breeders. One of the males has jumped out onto my hand and called. Southerns are also generally larger than the highland morph, and in my opinion, much more striking frogs. Dont get me wrong, highlands are great looking frogs too, I just personally prefer the southerns. I agree that 3-4 frogs in your size viv would be a reasonable number. If you cant find what you're looking for at the Hamburg show, I have some Southerns available, you can PM me.
I PMed you, Im new here so lemme know if I did something wrong and it didnt go through.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I got it. How new are you? Just to the board or have you or are you currently keeping other darts?

Variabilis are a perfect first thumbnail, one of the easier ones to keep IMO, however; if you don't have any dart experience at all, you are going to need to do a bit of legwork on keeping thumbnails before you get your feet wet. This forum is a great place to get a lot of information about darts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still am very new do dart frogs, I have a pair of D. Auratus that i have been keeping for a few months but that is it. I do understand that I have to do a great deal of research and I most definitely have been. If there are any threads or sites you have that would be helpful to me then please let me know. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I still am very new do dart frogs, I have a pair of D. Auratus that i have been keeping for a few months but that is it. I do understand that I have to do a great deal of research and I most definitely have been. If there are any threads or sites you have that would be helpful to me then please let me know. Any help is appreciated!
Just stick to the board and read and ask as many questions as you can. Use the search feature and spend a lot of time reading, but don't let the scary frog police disuade you, if you can't find the answer, or need clarification, just ask. Someone is bound to be willing to help.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Welcome to the board, Edalessio. Doug is correct. I've been keeping darts for a little awhile and only now feel ready to keep thumbnails. Variabilis are a great starter thumbnail. Beautiful coloration and bold behavior compared to other thumbs make them a rewarding find. I'm actually looking to buy some variabilis myself.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Most* thumbnails are no more difficult to keep than larger terrestrial frogs, and in some cases, easier. The only real difference is how to set up the tank tailored to their arboreal nature

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Welcome to the board, Edalessio. Doug is correct. I've been keeping darts for a little awhile and only now feel ready to keep thumbnails. Variabilis are a great starter thumbnail. Beautiful coloration and bold behavior compared to other thumbs make them a rewarding find. I'm actually looking to buy some variabilis myself.
Great advice! Lets not forget they have a very pleasant buzzing call.
I plan to vend at Frogday being held at the Staten Isl zoo in September and should have a very good selection of INIBCO (northern) variabilis to choose from...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts