Dendroboard banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
Perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places and searching the wrong terms but it seems that sexual dimorphism in R. Variabilis isn't covered in very many care sheets/species information repositories. I was hoping someone could provide tips on sexing R. Variabilis both for my current situation and for others in the future. I was told briefly that females were fatter and more pear shaped, anything else?

Also, these are my two R. Variabilis. They were purchased as a probable pair but I'm always interested in second opinions--any thoughts? Sorry for poor image quality. They're fast!

Thanks a lot, guys![/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Off topic, and I'm sure someones mentioned this before but I really appreciate that it says, "Attached Thumbnails" under the photos...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Off topic, and I'm sure someones mentioned this before but I really appreciate that it says, "Attached Thumbnails" under the photos...

Yeah, I'd thought about that as well.

It looks like my trio as well, my definite male is slimmer, with a body which appears to be longer than the 'girls' I picked out. The male does sing to both of the other tank mates, so I am hoping his interest is genuine and I really do have 2 females. Sorry about the crappy quality. Cell phone pics. He's calling right now. She really is fatter when she's not mid climb. I couldn't get a good stationary pic of them.

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Botany (I can't remember your actual name), I'm wondering why yours are calling and mine still aren't? I know there are a lot of variables that go into it, but out of curiosity what do you keep your temp and humidity at?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So are you guys thinking the one on the leaf is the male and the one on the glass is the female? That's what I've been thinking but I definitely could be mistaken...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thanks guys. Botany (I can't remember your actual name), I'm wondering why yours are calling and mine still aren't? I know there are a lot of variables that go into it, but out of curiosity what do you keep your temp and humidity at?

Well, I don't actually have a thermometer in that tank. I have a digital therm right next to it which is reading 68 in here in the house, so I would imagine the tank is around 73 or so, the same as all of my other tanks with thermometers. I picked one of the largest frogs in the tank when I picked out my frogs, so it could have been a little older. This is the one which is calling. I mist several times a day. I do have a piece of glass over the screen on top, but it doesn't completely cover the top, and I have some tape on the bottom vents, covering it mostly, to prevent FF's excaping quite so bad.

Zac

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Finally, some calling!

I noticed the two of them right next to each other basically emerging from the same brom, which has never happened before. While I was thinking it over, he started calling loudly!

I'm pumped.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congrats Logan!!

Egg deposition sites used by the variabilis I keep have included broms, film containers 2/3 filled with wath at a 45 degree angle, and tilted small condiment cups with water.

I have also seen the greatest reproduction with over 80% humidity and temperature swings of 7-10 degrees between night and day. Upper 60's night to upper 70's day. My light cycle is 13hrD:11hrN.

My fingers are crossed for you. Its a race between you and botanyboys probable pairs!! lol

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds great. I picked up a 1.3 group of Orange Lamasi on Friday and have them in a holding tank while I finish the big one and that male is calling like crazy now. Woke me up this morning!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
they're jumpy and all over the place but these ones seem to love hanging out in the black film canisters...I hope they'll keep feeling comfortable there and leave me some gifts!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm still getting calling from the one male, but no breeding activity as of yet. They're always out and about though. Not shy at all. Not even with the Boxer puppy and our mutt running around barking and vibrating the heck out of the desk, they are still out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sound exactly the same as mine. The male seems to be calling louder and louder, and I think he's starting to have more luck, as the female is just starting to really show interest. I added a juvie INIBICO variabilis that I got in another deal as well, so I'm not sure if that hurts or helps the process.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts