Dendroboard banner

R. uakarii

13K views 55 replies 17 participants last post by  whatamithinking02 
#1 ·
Hi guys. So, is this a easy, moderate, or advanced dart to keep? How big of a tank for 3 of them? Probably a 2.1. Densly planted with a variety or not? Could I have a small water feature, like a small stream leading into a pond? If this is not a easy dart to keep, what other types of Ranitomeya would be good? I might have many more questions.

Thanks
Alex

#2 ·
advanced based on price and rarity. care should be similar to other ranitomeya.

1.2 would work MUCH better than 2.1

i would suggest imitators for a beginner thumbnail frog. they are hardy and not too secretive (except for my pair of taras) they are reasonably priced $50-$100ea as well. i would leave the uakarii to those with the experience to keep this somewhat rare sp. going.

james

any Qs feel free to ask

#5 ·
you do know that benedicta are $400ea from understory? they ar very shy (from what ive heard) so not really a beginner frog.

start with something cheap, and easily bred. thats my 2cents. it will ensure that any failures will be softer on your pocketbook and the current # of individual frogs in the hobby.

james

#6 ·
Don't get Benedictas if you want to ever see your frogs. Better to just put a photo on the tank!

Richard.

#9 ·
This is definitely an advanced frog. Typically rather shy. They also seem to be very difficult to breed. I personally haven't had any success with these guys beyond the second week of hatching. I know a few breeders who are far more advanced than I am who have been telling me they're only getting about a 25% success rate from their eggs on....

#10 ·
In my opinion, you owe it to yourself, and to the hobby, to get your feet wet with an easier to keep, and less rare thumbnail. Please look into one of the MANY different Imitator morphs before trying the rarer thumbnails. If you go with the Iquitos Vents that were mentioned earlier, by prepared for them to be very shy until they get older. Mine are maybe 6 or 8 months old and are just starting to come out a little more.
Doug

#11 ·
Same thing james said, although care isnt quite the same as other thumbs. uakarii are really shy, and small, and difficult to breed. after you breed others like imis, vents, and lamasi you should get them.

As far as tank goes, plenty of floor space is needed but they will climb and even breed in the highest parts of the tank. and planting the tank HEAVILY is needed for breeding. my tank is covered with vines and philodendron.

#15 ·
Hey Alex! I to think the Uakarri are AMAZING loooking frogs and have always had a thing for them. You should def. put them on your list to get as a long term goal. Thats what I did for most of my frogs. I worked with easier breeds untill I really understood all the behaviors of the frogs. Then I studied up on the specific frog. Believe me when I say we WANT you to have these frogs but from most of our experiences its better off till waiting down the road.

A great thumbnail to start with that has great color and very bold is the standard Imitator. I could watch these guys for hours just moving around their vivs. Also they are much better to your saving account, only costing aournd $55-75.

Yet again I think its awesome you want to get Uakarri and go right for a difficult breed but we all want you to succeed first with others. And who knows, maybe down the road you will be awesome at keeping and breeding them compared to most! :) Good Luck with your choice of frog!

~Kyle

#18 ·
They will all spend some time on the ground. Especially with a nice thick bed of leaf litter for them to hunt in. Quiquevittatus and Castaneoticus (Brazil Nut) frogs are terrestrial thumbnails. Castaneoticus seems to be rather rare anymore but I've seen Quinqs available.
Doug

#19 ·
In the care sheet for imitators, it says that a vertical tank is perferred but not requiered. Should I have a pair in a tank with about 8 inches of vertical space that I am planning on having tons of broms and ficus pumulus? Or is that not a enough vertical space?

#22 ·
Vents are also climbers. The vast majority of thumbnails are climbers and would prefer a taller tank. Here are a few of the more terrestrial frogs.
Quiquevittatus, Castaneoticus (Brazil Nut), Summersi, reticulata (expert), Uakarri. I believe most Fantastica are semi arboreal.
Is there a reason you can't do a taller tank or a vert?
Doug

#23 ·
This is a most interesting thread..perhaps it could be expanded in some way for people to post the desirable qualities of the different species that a person trying to make a decision about which to buy...and having them for a while would be a worthwhile element... If there are drawbacks and cautions...this would be good to also know...there is already some good stuff in these posts...can it be expanded???

#28 ·
I'm sorry but fantasticus are more vert frogs, plus they are are labled as advance so if you want a horizontal frog I would suggest getting bigger more torestrial because first
1. Thumbnails that are avalible and are intermediate are vertical frogs
2. Get a cheaper begginner frog
3.if you can't get a vertical tank than get a large frog, it is not stressing the frogs out and die
this is IMO.

#39 · (Edited)
I'm sorry but fantasticus are more vert frogs, plus they are are labled as advance so if you want a horizontal frog I would suggest getting bigger more torestrial because first
fantasticus are very much leaf litter frogs and would be perfectly fine probably in a pair in a 10 gallon, though still not great for beginners

alot of frogs for horizontal small tanks came up in this thread:
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/beginner-discussion/43456-can-i-do-anything-10gal.html

#30 ·
The measurements are 30" 12" 12". This doesn't belong in this section but how bout Phyllobates aurotaenia. In the book it says they are beginner but on this cite it says that they are intermediate because of the difficulty of breeding. It also says that they tend to clime a little. Is around 8 inches a good height after the false bottom? About the stand, it is a stand with no wood or anything under the tank. It also has a space underneath for another 20 gallon, but I could put some exo-terras down there. Too bad about the fantasticus, they are nice looking frogs.

#31 ·
Sounds like a 20 long. That's a good bit of floor space very well suited to terrestrials. I'm afraid I have never worked with Phyllobates Aurotaenia so hopefully someone else can chime in on this. I really don't know how important climbing space is for them.
Doug

#32 ·
Wow. This thread has really grown! My first 2 threads are both longer than 2 pages! I'm amazed! Never happened to me on Caudata.org. So, on to the thread. While I was looking at the care sheets, I saw a couple ones that appealed to me and were novice ones. They were Phyllobates terribilis, bicolor, vittatus, and D. truncatus. The problem is truncatus is pretty hard to find. (From what I have seen) Bicolor, terribilis, and vittatus are easy to find though.

#40 ·
Bicolors and Terribillis would both do great in there. They are both great first frogs and are extremely bold! I like to say that the larger terrestrial frogs will eventually get to know you and come up front to beg for food. Whereas the best you can expect from a thumbnail is that they may eventually begin to ignore you. Now a Bicolor or Terribillis is different still...They are so bold they will mug you for your fruit flies!!!:eek:
Josh's Frogs works with Truncatus but are currently out of stock.
Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.