Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a group of 5 x 6-8 month R. Uakarii (gold legged) in a 40 gallon vivarium, which they've only been in for about a week. Since they're new to the tank, I've been checking on them every day, and trying to get a count throughout the day just to make sure I've seen each individual. But the last day or two, I haven't seen the boldest of the group -- or at least, he/she was the boldest when first introduced. When would you start to worry?

In terms of hiding spots, there are lots. There are broms, wood features, plenty of plants, and leaf litter for them to hide in. Most of the time I either find them hiding in a brom, or occasionally under a leaf in the leaf litter. There is another individual that hangs out in the same brom leaf almost all day, and is almost impossible to see if you don't know where to look.

My fear though, given that this is a new vivarium, is that they'll somehow find a crevice in the great-stuff foam background, and wedge themselves in, or get behind the background into a gap somehow (though I've been checking the back of the tank daily out of paranoia).

It is not out of the realm of possibilities that he got out when I was doing some plant maintenance the other day, but I always do a careful check when opening the lid, and I was watching carefully. Plus, I don't think he's THAT bold yet.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! I thought these guys actually did well in male-dominated groups -- but since I don't know the sexes yet, it could be on the female-heavy side.

If that is indeed the case, I'll break them into two smaller groups.

·
Registered
100 Posts
These frogs are pretty reclusive in my experience, and do NOT do well in groups. Your formerly bold, now nowhere to be seen frog, could be being bullied and hiding.
I know you have some of these guys, I tried to find your post where you talked about them but couldn't find it. How many do you have and in what size tank?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
I know you have some of these guys, I tried to find your post where you talked about them but couldn't find it. How many do you have and in what size tank?
I have 3 (1 male, 2 females) in an 18x18x24". The one female occasionally chases the other around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Dart frogs can disappear for weeks under normal conditions. When to worry is a hard call even with years of experience. I try to leave them alone and hope for the best when a frog disappears. Most of the time they show back up again just fine. Sometimes they don't. I only worry with new frogs or if I have a reasonable suspicion that there is a problem.

I have no experience with that species. Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts