Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've tried searching on here but most of the threads are very old. My trio of R. uakarii have laid eggs (see pictures below). What has people's success been like in leaving the eggs/tads with the frogs versus removing the eggs/tads and raising in a grow out?

·
Super Moderator
2,926 Posts
I have no experience with uakari, but in my other Ranitomeya, it varies a bit as to what is successful. Ideally, I like to pull the film canister and put it in a bigger container that has enough water in it to cover the eggs half way up. You never want to submerge the eggs. Looks like that film canisters is locked in pretty tight, so maybe that won't work for you. Another option, and this is how it works with my nominal fants, is to just wait until the tads hatch and let the male transport the tads to film canisters that you leave partly filled with water (half?) at an angle in the leaf litter at the bottom. You can then dump the tads into individual plastic cups once they have been deposited in the canisters. This probably a more natural way to do it, but you probably won't get all of the tads that way. That's why I steal the eggs, canister and all, if I can. My nominals don't advertise where they are laying so we have an arrangement that they drop 1 (rarely 2) tad from each clutch into the film canisters on the bottom. I then get to steal their tad :) I am sure they are laying more than one tad per clutch, but this arrangement suits me because I don't need to produce massive numbers of nominals. I have heard that it's possible to move the eggs out of the canister with a butter knife or something, but this amount of disturbance maybe too much for the little guys.

Mark

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The eggs have started hatching. One tadpole hatched so far and another 4-5 eggs that haven't hatched yet but you can see wriggling. :), so far, so good.

I'm planning to pull the tads out tomorrow and put them into deli cups.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
So wait, they are caring for the tads themselves? I was told these guys show no parental care at all, which is the only reason I'd marked them off the list.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So wait, they are caring for the tads themselves? I was told these guys show no parental care at all, which is the only reason I'd marked them off the list.
No, they didn't care for their tads. The male carried the one around and eventually dropped it off, but didn't look after it after that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts