Dendroboard banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Also, if you pull the eggs, they may be inclined to lay again sooner.
^^^ this is the key!
In my experience, uakarii will continue to breed as long as there are available egg laying places, and/ or tadpole depositing areas. I left a clutch of eggs with my group to see what they would do and they didn't breed for 3-4 months while the tadpoles were in the tank. As soon as I removed the tads then within weeks there was a fresh batch of eggs.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Haven't pulled any eggs yet, but there are plenty of brom axils for them to use. They also used one film cannisters, but I ended up leaving it rather than pulling it.

When you left the tads in the tank, were you feeding them/keeping their water clean somehow?

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Haven't pulled any eggs yet, but there are plenty of brom axils for them to use. They also used one film cannisters, but I ended up leaving it rather than pulling it.

When you left the tads in the tank, were you feeding them/keeping their water clean somehow?
Nope. I left them completely as is. They didn't make it (I was ok with that), The tadpoles were not deposited anywhere that I could easily retrieve them so I left them where they were

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Dad loaded up the 3 tads from the first clutch a few days ago, and deposited the first tadpole in a film cannister today. This time I provided 5 different film cannisters for deposition, with fresh RO water with a little piece of almond leaf in each, hoping that he'll avoid dropping them into a brom axil again.

On a side note -- only one pair of the group of 4 has been breeding, and I'm fairly confident I have a 2.2 group (although I've only heard one male call). At the very least I'm confident I have a 1.2.1 group, as one of the females sometimes chases the other (suspected) female around, and those two are both similar size -- which is larger than the male above. Is it pretty normal for only one pair in a group to actively court and produce? They're in a 37-gallon.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
Dad loaded up the 3 tads from the first clutch a few days ago, and deposited the first tadpole in a film cannister today. This time I provided 5 different film cannisters for deposition, with fresh RO water with a little piece of almond leaf in each, hoping that he'll avoid dropping them into a brom axil again.

View attachment 298646

On a side note -- only one pair of the group of 4 has been breeding, and I'm fairly confident I have a 2.2 group (although I've only heard one male call). At the very least I'm confident I have a 1.2.1 group, as one of the females sometimes chases the other (suspected) female around, and those two are both similar size -- which is larger than the male above. Is it pretty normal for only one pair in a group to actively court and produce? They're in a 37-gallon.
Yes, it is pretty normal, from what I've read. There will very likely be a dominant male and dominant female

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
All three tadpoles were dropped off and extracted successfully. Two were put in film cannisters (tilted up, half filled with RO water and a small piece of indian almond leaf), one at the substrate level, and one halfway up the wall. The 3rd was deposited in the center of a brom, but easily extracted with a pipette (cut to the appropriate diameter).

The first was deposited 24 hours after pickup and the other 2 72 hours.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts