Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Much to my glee, 2 of my 4 R. Uakarii "Gold-legged" have started to show courting behavior as of this past week. The male calls, and the female follows him around, putting her arm on his back. They usually end up between two of the leaves of the sygonium.

I put a few horizontally oriented film canisters in a couple places at a couple of different heights as deposition locations.

Should I be expecting eggs this early, or will it mostly likely result in naught? They are 6-8 months out of water.

·
Super Moderator
2,062 Posts
The answer is: no one can tell you if you're going to have eggs or not, and if you do have eggs whether they'll be fertile or not. It's a bit of a wait and see game.

My pair have sometimes transported the tads to film canisters and sometimes to bromeliad axils.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The more I look at photos, the less sure I am of whether they're fertile or not. I think I'm just going to leave them in place and see what happens. I'll try to supply many deposit sites in the form of film canisters in case they develop into tadpoles, so I don't need to go trying to extract them when they get transferred to a brom.

·
Registered
441 Posts
If they were just laid, they look fine. They will start to split and darken, or remain white and go moldy =D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If they were just laid, they look fine. They will start to split and darken, or remain white and go moldy =D
Yeah they were literally laid this afternoon. It makes me wonder if there are other eggs in less visible locations. I've seen this pair huddle up together in other locations this last week.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I've been keeping an eye on these eggs, and it looks like 1 of them is bad, but maybe the other 2 (far left, far right) are developing? What are you guys' thoughts:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't update this thread, but the tadpoles were picked up about a week after the last post. One was carried for 2 days and dropped off in a brom axil. I tried extracting him with a turkey baster and a smaller eye dropper like device, but it just wasn't working. I eventually just removed the whole brom and flushed it upside down.

The second tad was deposited in one of the many tilted film cannisters with water about 2 more days later. Both are now being raised in separate 4oz deli cups.

Also, only days after the second tadpole was deposited, they laid another clutch of eggs, 5 this time, and all of which are fertilized and are developing. I'm debating whether or not I'll pull them at some point. I kind of want to slow their roll a little bit, and I also feel a little bad taking them out, given that the male checks on them every day. We'll see.

The male checking on the eggs:

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
Do you have any plans to keep or sell the tads when they morph into froglets? (Or frogs)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do you have any plans to keep or sell the tads when they morph into froglets? (Or frogs)
I will most likely sell all the froglets that come from these guys, as I just don't have the room to expand my collection that much. Probably won't be ready to ship until the Fall though.

·
Registered
Dendrobates Tinctorus “Azureus”, Epipedobates Anthonyi “Santa Isabel”, and also myself.
524 Posts
I will most likely sell all the froglets that come from these guys, as I just don't have the room to expand my collection that much. Probably won't be ready to ship until the Fall though.
I’m not going to be too ecstatic once my Santa Isabels breed. You can probably guess why... ;)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sheesh. Like clockwork, the same pair laid yet another clutch today. This time 4 eggs.

At this rate, I'm getting 3-5 eggs every 7 days. How long can they keep this up?

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yes, they will keep laying. You can try drying out the tank a bit and cutting back on feeding and they may stop. Also, if you pull the eggs, they may be inclined to lay again sooner.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts