Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recovered my first tad from this species. It was deposited in a pill jar burried at an angle in the substrate under heavy leaf litter. It is not my style to pull eggs, however, I was preparing for a rebuild... I turned a pile of leaves and saw the egg and then the tad, both deposited in the same pill jar. I stopped there. There are 3 more egg/tad deposition sites in this viv, and I didn't want to pull everything.

If they are going to be moved, should I just pull the eggs and tads that are developing, or leave them in place and simply move the adults? Obviously she has been dropping feeder eggs, so... Will this tad respond to tad pellets, etc?

All my thanks!

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
That egg in the pill jar is fertile.

I pull all my tads and they do just fine. It's fun to watch them grow up.

·
Registered
122 Posts
In my opinion I wouldn't bother rebuilding your tank. The frogs are now pretty comfortable with it (producing eggs/tadpole) and moving/rebuilding it could cause a sudden change in reproduction. You can raise the tads outside their parental care. It's kind of neat to see them develope but after so many eggs, it's more work then fun. good luck with them.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a frog(I think it was a male) transporting tonight! I feel the need to mention that these frogs really utilize these types of receptacles:

-I have them burried at an angle that allows sufficient water to pool in the bottom as a resevoir. I then cover them with layers of leaves. I have offered higher laying sites, but after an initial(my first) probing, only the glass jars and pill jars were utilized, both ground level.-

JBear

Attachments

Reactions: Reef_Haven

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I saw a frog(I think it was a male) transporting tonight! I feel the need to mention that these frogs really utilize these types of receptacles:

-I have them burried at an angle that allows sufficient water to pool in the bottom as a resevoir. I then cover them with layers of leaves. I have offered higher laying sites, but after an initial(my first) probing, only the glass jars and pill jars were utilized, both ground level.-

JBear
Mine also use low or ground sites.....I had some film canisters up higher and they have never used them. All the tads(17) I have pulled have been from canisters in the leaf litter.....

Why do you want to rebuild? If they are producing I would just leave them since they are comfortable enough reproduce...

JMHO.....Congrats on the tads...

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine also use low or ground sites.....I had some film canisters up higher and they have never used them. All the tads(17) I have pulled have been from canisters in the leaf litter.....

Why do you want to rebuild? If they are producing I would just leave them since they are comfortable enough reproduce...

JMHO.....Congrats on the tads...
To be honest, when I received the trio, I had no supplies for a false bottom. I didn't want them to spend any more time in the shipping containers though. So I hastily set up a viv with soil and leaves(blended) as the ONLY substrate. I then covered the substrate with an AMPLE amount of dead leaves. The idea was this would be temporary. They started throwing eggs almost instantly and I didn't want to pull them out while not knowing what breeding was taking place. Time has marched on and they are still courting/laying eggs/depositing tads/etc. but I am fearful that the lack of a FB will have a long term negative effect on the frogs and offspring. The soil is not water logged, but it is wet... This has me very concerned, thus the desire for a rebuild.

JBear

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Hey JBear, I just wanted to throw this in for readers studying up on Sirensis. Different frogs will prefer different laying sites. Our greens lay some in the leaf litter but we get a lot of eggs deposited on the glass and in a horizontal, glass mounted film canister about 6 or 8 inches from the top.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
To be honest, when I received the trio, I had no supplies for a false bottom. I didn't want them to spend any more time in the shipping containers though. So I hastily set up a viv with soil and leaves(blended) as the ONLY substrate. I then covered the substrate with an AMPLE amount of dead leaves. The idea was this would be temporary. They started throwing eggs almost instantly and I didn't want to pull them out while not knowing what breeding was taking place. Time has marched on and they are still courting/laying eggs/depositing tads/etc. but I am fearful that the lack of a FB will have a long term negative effect on the frogs and offspring. The soil is not water logged, but it is wet... This has me very concerned, thus the desire for a rebuild.

JBear
I can see you redoing it then.......Probably be better off in the end....

Reactions: jbherpin

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Constructed a grow-out viv for froglets. Also took some decent pics of the recovered tad. I know the grow-out needs some foliage, I will clean some tomorrow, lol! This grow-out is a springtail buffet... I am certain it will be very appealing.

JBear

Attachments

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forgot to mention 2 more eggs. I read that they can deposit between 1 and 5. As of yet, for me, single eggs. Is this normal? All my thanks!

JBear

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
I treat all thumbnails the same. If I let the parents tank raise I pull when 1/2 adult size or better. If I raise tads up I just feed heavy on springs and especially stunted melanogaster I can dust with supplement. I also LOVE the purple isopods, and these crazy wormy isopods I got from Tor Linbo. Perfect size for a growing baby frog

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Yeah, I'm over here leaning against the wall, checking my watch, tapping my foot, and twiddling my thumbs, just waiting for the day you're ready to send some of those crazy, wormy, Linbo isopods out this way. ;)

·
Registered
8,328 Posts
Yeah I know. I depleted my stock of it seeding new tanks. I LOADED my highland sirensis and vanzo vivs with them, and a ton of purple Isis and dwarf whites too. You are person número UNO on my list

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Yeah, I'm over here leaning against the wall, checking my watch, tapping my foot, and twiddling my thumbs, just waiting for the day you're ready to send some of those crazy, wormy, Linbo isopods out this way. ;)
Doug, isopods are not pokemon, you DON'T, "Gotta catch them all"

1 - 20 of 56 Posts