Dendroboard banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
No, I wasn't thinking they'd egg feed. I was thinking of the intentional cannibalism of R. variabilis , and the fact that tads in non-egg feeders may well be deposited in an occupied canister, replicating the effect of the natural behavior of variabilis. I presume that while the vanzolinii group knows enough to stop breeding when caring for eggs, the fantastica group might well not (no adaptive reason to), and will thus end up feeding their earlier tads. But no, I wasn't planning to count on that, and plan to provide food.
Also remember that the article states (in the abstract): "Genetic analyses indicate that tadpoles are frequently unrelated to embryos in the same pool" - this may indicate that the same male won't deposit into a pool already used.

Interesting that this could also indicate that such strategies could have been what developed species like imitator or flavovittata into facultative egg feeding. I don't remember where the species diverged though, so I can't comment on that at present.

Reactions: Socratic Monologue

·
Registered
963 Posts
This reminds me of the 'mud bath' method that @Fahad and @Tijl have advocated. I might consider working this in, too.
Can you link to this, SM? I've seen allusions to it and am intrigued by the method. I'd like to try it but need a "recipe."

Thx.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Can you link to this, SM? I've seen allusions to it and am intrigued by the method. I'd like to try it but need a "recipe."

Thx.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just picked up a group of 4 from Encyclia. Even knowing they're the smallest of the thumbnails, they are still surprisingly tiny even with a good amount of time out of the water. I am very excited to work with them and will post anything I learn once they are of breeding size here.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts