Dendroboard banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so guys and girls, if you were able to get just one pair for a breeding project would you go with orange or green leg. just curious because i'm haveing a very hard time deciding. i am curious on the thoughts out there.:)

·
Banned
1,573 Posts
so guys and girls, if you were able to get just one pair for a breeding project would you go with orange or green leg. just curious because i'm haveing a very hard time deciding. i am curious on the thoughts out there.:)
Its personal choice really...both are shy so I like the O. Lamasi cause they are easier to see when you do see them...lol

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Are the leg colors just hair-splitting of the Panguana lamasi? I've not personally heard that much as a reference.

R. lamasi is a great species...most active in the early morning and late evening hours (my experience with the Highland frogs, anyway) so not necessarily for folks who like to see their frogs always out and about.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I really like my orange Lamasi but its the most annoying frog early in the morning when im trying to sleep because he calls constantly and is insanely LOUD!!!!!!!! I need a girlfriend for him!!!! Mine arent shy they are bold!

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have both morphs and they both are awesome little frogs. Their call is loud , but beautiful. The Orange Lamasi are going to stand out more than the green, and like Chris stated they are very shy frogs. Sometimes its days before I see the both of them. If your looking to breed...my Orange Lamasi are more prolific than my green legs in my collection. IfI was to have to choose....I would go O. Lamasi.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Are the leg colors just hair-splitting of the Panguana lamasi? I've not personally heard that much as a reference.
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this myself. A quick peek at the Christman book seems to indicate there are a multitude of forms around panguana. My orange (can we stop saying O. Lamasi please) group has red, orange and yellow individuals in it.

Many of my green leg lamasi morph out lime green all over only to fade to yellow on the back, while my 'regular' panguana lamasi never morph out like that. I'd love to get a hobby history on these guys - I think they appeared around the first IAD. As well as talk to someone about their situation and populations in the wild and who smuggled what from where and when.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I've been trying to get to the bottom of this myself. A quick peek at the Christman book seems to indicate there are a multitude of forms around panguana.
I was thinking of that as well...and Twomey and Brown have this to say regarding the Panguana lamasi:

"This is an extremely variable population found along Rio Pachitea. In single localities, one can find frogs that are yellow, green, orange, or red."

I personally have a strong hunch that it's a matter of people assuming we can fit these frogs into proverbial phenotypic cookie-cutters and that ANY variation warrants a split and new captive population...even though the evidence at hand seems to speak otherwise.

My orange (can we stop saying O. Lamasi please)...
Yes, thank you.

Many of my green leg lamasi morph out lime green all over only to fade to yellow on the back, while my 'regular' panguana lamasi never morph out like that. I'd love to get a hobby history on these guys - I think they appeared around the first IAD. As well as talk to someone about their situation and populations in the wild and who smuggled what from where and when.
Maybe a post on Frognet would bring out some information from folks who were closer to those importations.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I personally have a strong hunch that it's a matter of people assuming we can fit these frogs into proverbial phenotypic cookie-cutters and that ANY variation warrants a split and new captive population...even though the evidence at hand seems to speak otherwise.

Maybe a post on Frognet would bring out some information from folks who were closer to those importations.
I agree and that seems like the best next step.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
the orange lamasi i used to have had offspring that looked like all 3 morphs. even had some green leg orange lamasi.

when i talked to mark pepper about them a while ago he said they could all be from the same population, but at this point there isnt any way to tell. that was pretty much my thought on it as well.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
are Orange Lamasi bold frogs? im considering getting some, are they as small as thumbnails when fully grown?
somewhat bold, it really depends on the tank. they are a thumbnail (Ranitomeya) so yes ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts