Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I've never shard any of my vivariums on the board, nor pictures of the R. imitator intermedius I purchased form a local dboard member in september, so I decided I'd share their viv. and pics of the frogs. I believe the one to be a female, and the other frog is pretty slender and elongated in comparison. I think they are approximately 9 months old. Haven't heard any calling. Any comments, criticisms, etc. welcome, thanks for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
some kinda Alocasia sp. and yeah, great plant for perching, doesn't grow too fast, love it.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
Looks good. You might consider adding a branching piece of ghost wood. They would make a jungle gym out of it!
The plant in question is Alocasia Polly. The leaves get huge and can block out light to the lower levels so every now and then you have to grab a razor blade and hack out a leaf or two. I love it and have it in half a dozen or more of my vivs. You can often find it at Lowe's.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Looks good. You might consider adding a branching piece of ghost wood. They would make a jungle gym out of it!
The plant in question is Alocasia Polly. The leaves get huge and can block out light to the lower levels so every now and then you have to grab a razor blade and hack out a leaf or two. I love it and have it in half a dozen or more of my vivs. You can often find it at Lowe's.
I'll give another endorsement for Alocasia Polly. I ordered one from NE herp and it was actually two well developed plants in the same pot. I'm very happy with it. I've got it in a 29 gallon vert so I'm wondering if it will grow a wee bit taller.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Yeah that would be cool. One of my plants has some over lapping leaves and one, sometimes two, of my female green legged sirensis always sleep in the little space between the leaves. I imagine other thumbs love it as well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
green legged sirensis, I love it. haha I was going to say alocasia bambino but I'd put my dollar on pumillo's ID, similar looking and when they get going with good light they do grow fast. They give an amazing look in the viv though dont they? Give a great contrast to a colorful frog perched on their leaf. I love my bambino :D Beautiful frog too. I love the banded look with the darker copper color. Mine are banded but have yellower bands...or wait? are they black on copper or copper on black?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
I'll give another endorsement for Alocasia Polly. I ordered one from NE herp and it was actually two well developed plants in the same pot. I'm very happy with it. I've got it in a 29 gallon vert so I'm wondering if it will grow a wee bit taller.
For some reason, every time I have seen Alocasia Polly for sale, it has been two plants in one pot. I have seen hundreds like that. Nice for me as I separate them and get 2 vivs worth. You get 2 full sized for about $16. The better deal is when they happen to have young ones. They you get 2 for about $6 and grow fairly fast. (Lowe's pricing)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it'll definitely have to get cut at one point, but it doesn't grow so fast that it's a nuisance

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I witnessed my intermedius wrestling recently. I have thought them to be either 1.1 or 0.2. Does fighting occur male to female in R. imitator? If not, is it safe to assume I have two females?

·
Banned
327 Posts
Nice tank, here's a few suggestions from a guy who has breed intermedius for a few years. -I find the most reproductive success with having more broms, especially the ones with spikey barbs lining the leaves. Also get some film canisters in the tank for egg sites. Some of my frogs prefer broms, some canisters.
-Try giving them a little more area to hide in, maybe some cork tubes, leaf litter, etc.
- I also prefer to keep the sides about 75% enclosed so they feel a little more secure.

Just a few tips that have worked for me. But the tank looks really nice. Btw, you'll here them call for sure so just wait. My youngest group started reproducing at about 8 monts old or so.

Reactions: SutorS

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions and compliments. I'll definitely make some adjustments. Interesting you say that about the spines on the broms. This one is mildly spiny but not much... I'll be sure to add more. There is a pretty good layer of leaf litter if the picture doesn't show (magnolia and indian almond) and a few film canisters, but I need to get some on the walls and such.

Will the opposite sex wrestle? I believe I have two females but I want to be sure. I've heard no calling but have seen the two fighting.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Not sure if you mentioned it but it might be helpful if you let everybody know the age. Mine started calling at about 6-7 months old. Not really sure about the wrestling but I think It happens mostly with frogs of the same sex. If you find out that they are 2 female and are interested in a male let me know.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Beautiful frogs, very cute tank. What's the little fern-looking plant in the middle?

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If you witnessed wrestling that looked like grecko roman with grasping and tumbling that looked very aggressive, my money would be on two males. Try misting 2 to 3 times a day and see if you get any calling.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
R_imitator_inter_brawling - Dendroboard Gallery

It was definitely greco-roman wrestling mixed with MMA, exactly as you both described. They are about 9 months old and I mist pretty heavily. My campana call all the time, I was kinda surprised these guys hadn't been going yet then saw the wrestling. The one on top I've always suspected to be female. I thought I read wrestling occurs between females with imitators, but I may have misread. Anyone know?

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Shinosuke, the plant in the middle is Selaginella kraussiana variegatus and uncinata. Selaginella uncinata is very nice: it lies low in a cluster, has a beautiful blueish color in low light, and sends out long runners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts